It's all Chickie Mamma's Fault!

becky3086

Crested Crazy
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Thomson, GA
See I used to have 4 breeds of ducks. 17 ducks in all and it eventually got to be too much when I went back to school and I gave them all away and when I got a few free extra duck eggs in an order of chicken eggs that I bought, I told Phil, it would be ok, because I was just going to hatch a few. So all three of those hatched and then I wanted muskovies but only one of those hatched and that was just 4 so that was ok. Then someone on here had some magpie duck eggs really cheap and they are so pretty and of course I had to put in a few of my own duck eggs to test and then we had two magpie ducklings and a one of my own hatch so that is 7--still good. THEN I get eggs for just shipping from Chickie Mamma. So she send me a dozen! But I am thinking, no bid deal, only a few of them will hatch
roll.png
and then 10 of them were fertile and growing but I am still thinking no big deal, only a few will hatch. So they started pipping yesterday, 3 pipped and one died in the shell and I thought, well that is ok 2 more would be just about right and then another pipped and that was still ok. And then this morning 3 have hatched and 5 MORE HAVE PIPPED and it is all Chickie Mamma's fault for sending me such good eggs!
Ummm, and that is what I am going to tell Phil when he comes home and looks in the new brooder that I am hoping to keep under the kitchen table.
ep.gif

jumpy.gif
go duckies go! Can't wait to see the new fuzzy butts! They are addicting. We were only supposed to get 2 ducks and currently have 17
hide.gif

Oh, my.... yes, it is my fault
smile.png
Well, actually, you wanted them
jumpy.gif

I am glad you are having a good hatch! I always figure "only a couple will hatch" and I always regret saying that. I have ducklings coming out of my ears (now there's something to see)
gig.gif

Can't wait to see pics of the new fuzzy butts!! I take all the blame
smile.png

I think in the past 3-4 months 40-50 ducklings have hatched from the eggs I have sent everyone! They grow so fast, enjoy them !!

***Wow a look into my future*** LOL

I told my hubby "now that we have for sure a female and a male" we are going to have to make sure to collect the eggs so she doesn't try to hatch them just incase she does go broody." He replied, "I though you wanted more ducks (I went
ep.gif
celebrate.gif
at that point) if she doesn't hatch them then I am sure I can figure out a incubator of some sort. Or you can check on how to make one from that chicken website you are always on."
hide.gif

They are so cute though.

Quote:
My ducks would not go broody. So I just sold or just incubated all of them. I left a dozen eggs in the nest over the summer and they wouldn't even go near it. Only to lay more eggs. I didn't want the eggs to go to waste, especially with the excellent fertility rate I have.
Good luck on getting the duck to hatch them herself
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom