It's almost time to order chicks....but what kind?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LuckyChicken, Jan 30, 2009.

1. LuckyChicken

LuckyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    It's that awesome time of year! Christmas? nope. Birthday? nope. It's the time of year with the hatchery catalogs show up in your mailbox. This year, we are going to stray from our usual order of rocks and RIRs, so I would love to hear what everyone's favorite breed is for eggs - we like to keep about 25 layers. We also want to get some pets - does anyone have any experiences with breeds that make affectionate pets? My daughter lost her polish crested a couple weeks ago and we want to get her some new pets. Thanks!

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    if you want real answers do a search...if you want our current opinions...well then...OEGB!!!! [​IMG]

I am editing cuz that sounded rude! I meant like research the breeds like on fethersite or here or soemthing...dang I am rude!

BUT WELCOME! really the rest are friendly

gotta edit again...just order like 5 of everything!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    My best layers are Isa Browns from Towline Hatchery in Michigan. I also like buff orpingtons. It's so fun ordering new chicks and picking out different breeds! Have fun.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd have to go with Polish again, but I know how hard it can be to go for another of the same breed after you just lost one. [​IMG] Eh, not that there's much of a difference, but Sultans are sweet. You're going to get a lot of people forcing Silkies on you, too, just don't cave in to those evil things like I did. [​IMG] Steal your sole, they will.

Egg layers? Australorps (sp?) are great layers. Our girl is a mix and I hear the pure breds lay over 320 eggs a year, if memory serves. Nice dispositions, too.

I've always been a fan of crested breeds for pets. What character they have!

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    For pets you can't go wrong with japanese bantams. All mine are extremely friendly including the roos and I actually have a trio in the house. Downside is their small size can make it difficult to mix them with a standard size flock (hatchery japs tend to be a bit bigger) and they don't handle the cold real well. They were good down to about 0-10F this winter and as soon as it hit negatives every roo started to frostbite and they were all shivering. Which is how they end up in my house in the first place. Now I just don't want them to leave. [​IMG] Surprisingly despite their lack of cold hardiness they have all been laying through winter even when out in the coop. The hens in the coop have given me an egg a day without fail even in the dead of winter. Now that they are all old enough to lay I have bantam eggs everywhere. I ate a dozen just so I wouldn't set them and then set 16 and I already have another carton nearly full.

8. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I hear that RIRs and Leghorns are the best layers but the least friendly. Buff Orpingtons are my FAVORITES and they are good layers and so sweet. I have heard wonderful things about Australorps, I'm not sure why I never got any. If I ever place another chick order, I will deff get some. They're supposed to be great layers and very friendly. Wyandottes are gorgeous, and supposed to be friendly and good layers as well.
    Good luck! Ordering new chicks is such fun! [​IMG]

9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got three RIR and two of them are spoiled rotten and want to be held all the time, the third could care less about me so long as I have food. I'm getting a bunch of RIRs because they really are great layers and pretty birds. I'm also getting some more Buff Orps because they are so friendly, good layers and pretty, pretty girls. Just saw my first Buff Orp roo the other day and that boy was HUGE!!!

10. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Salmon Faverolles, bantam or LF. They are wonderful in all climates and gentle sweet birds. They are good year round layers and are not obsessively broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by