Its been 20 weeks and still no eggs?! What am i doing wrong?

GreyFoxHomestead

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
Hello. I got my hens the first week of April of this year. They are about 20 weeks old and still no signs of eggs. One is a Lavender O-something, one is a Phenix, one is a brown and white (no idea what she is) and no one is laying. I've checked every day twice a day, and looked for any signs of laying (redness/swelling of waddle and comb, more interest in the nesting box, ect) and nothing. All are on a layers pellet and all get fresh bugs. Is there anything I can do to try to get them to lay? What am I doing wrong?!

I don't think you are doing anything wrong :) The first of my 8 chickens didn't lay until she was 20 weeks old. Four of them started at 21 weeks and I am still waiting for 3 of them to start at 23 weeks. I found that there combs and wattles turned brighter red several weeks before laying, but squatting started about one week before laying for each of them.

One of my Wyandottes didn't lay until she was 9 months old! But when she started she laid 6 per week and several double yolk eggs that weighed over 3 ounces each. The other pullets were between 24-29 weeks. No two (out of 4 LOL) began laying at the same age. But, I understand how HARD it is to wait for that first precious egg. Good luck, hope it's soon.
🥚🥚🥚

It won't help them lay any sooner, but if you put a couple golf balls in each nest, it will help them to know WHERE to lay their eggs. Please be sure to come back and tell us when the magic happens, and maybe even post a pic! Oh ... and don't be alarmed if the eggs are small for a few weeks, or weird in some ways. It takes a bit for the machinery to work all the kinks out! 😉

Back
Top Bottom