It's been 26 years since I've had a bear in my house

Pics

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
The chickens are fine. They are protected by hot wire baited with mackerel and peanut butter. What I didn't expect was to finish up tonight with the chickens, turned on the hot wire, and came inside my house to find a full size, 400 pound black bear in my living room raiding my meal worm colony.

There he was. There I was. Fifteen feet apart. My living room is tiny, so it was a very intimate encounter. I was very calm and quiet mainly because I didn't wish to be killed, and I also wished to minimize the damage a 400 pound bear could do to my house. I propped open the front screen door, and pointed to the exit. The bear, who was scarfing up meal worms and wheat bran substrate, casually declined. Instead he decided to go out the window he came in, knocking over the seven foot ficus, smashing my Christmas cactus, crushing my lamp, and leaving the screen crumpled up like a balled up piece of newspaper.

I had picked up the can of bear spray, and having held back dousing him while he was inside my house, I let him have it once he was off the porch. This time the wind was coming from behind me so I didn't get sprayed as has happened in the past. But he only got the red cloud of burning love from behind, having little effect. But I still had my shotgun. It's loaded with non-lethal rubber loads. He sauntered off down the grassy slope with me following close behind. I got off one shot, but these loads are not very hot, so it probably fell short of hitting him. He will be back. They always return to the scene of the crime.

It's been 95F, and the house is hot, but since I wish to be able to sleep sometime tonight, I closed all the windows except my bedroom slider. As I mentioned, it's been 26 years since the last time a bear burgled my house. The other time, I had just moved in and had left for ten minutes to gather rocks for a retaining wall I was building. When I returned, there was a bear in my living room. But that bear had demolished every room in the house in the ten minutes I was gone. There are still scratch marks on the bathtub and on my kitchen stove and the window sill over the kitchen sink. The microwave was smashed on the floor. Drawers were yanked out onto the floor, and broken house plants and spilled potting soil were strewn everywhere. It took six hours to clean up the mess, and the bear came back that evening for more.

This time the mess was isolated to the end of the living room where my worm farm was. Luckily, the bear was satisfied only with the worms and not the beetles. As it was, meal worms were crawling madly all over the living room, but they move slowly. If he had dumped out all the beetles, those suckers move fast and in no time would be running over every inch of my 900 square foot floor space. So I have that to be thankful for.

EF33B7E4-E464-4F72-BF78-11652D5CC607.jpeg
F5DF8283-1BBA-4853-B8F9-B63076638B77.jpeg
Good times.

I have not had one get inside yet, but when I was in high school, one bit through the door knob and ripped of some siding. The electric fence was then extended to include the yard until he quit visiting.

400 lbs is a big ol' boy. You may need some unwelcome mats under your windows or a hot wire around your house. He will be back.

I am impressed that you are able to sit and write rationally about what must have been a horrifying event. And, it would also freak me out to have a gazillion mealworms wandering around in my house, although I know that pales in comparison to the bear.

Thank goodness you and the chickens are safe.

Does insurance cover this "natural disaster"? And, did you get any sleep? The heat (we hit 100 yesterday and I don't have air conditioning) makes sleeping tough enough, but the fear of your visitor's return must have made it nearly impossible.

Hope today doesn't bring another drop-in by the bear.

The chickens are fine. They are protected by hot wire baited with mackerel and peanut butter. What I didn't expect was to finish up tonight with the chickens, turned on the hot wire, and came inside my house to find a full size, 400 pound black bear in my living room raiding my meal worm colony.

There he was. There I was. Fifteen feet apart. My living room is tiny, so it was a very intimate encounter. I was very calm and quiet mainly because I didn't wish to be killed, and I also wished to minimize the damage a 400 pound bear could do to my house. I propped open the front screen door, and pointed to the exit. The bear, who was scarfing up meal worms and wheat bran substrate, casually declined. Instead he decided to go out the window he came in, knocking over the seven foot ficus, smashing my Christmas cactus, crushing my lamp, and leaving the screen crumpled up like a balled up piece of newspaper.

I had picked up the can of bear spray, and having held back dousing him while he was inside my house, I let him have it once he was off the porch. This time the wind was coming from behind me so I didn't get sprayed as has happened in the past. But he only got the red cloud of burning love from behind, having little effect. But I still had my shotgun. It's loaded with non-lethal rubber loads. He sauntered off down the grassy slope with me following close behind. I got off one shot, but these loads are not very hot, so it probably fell short of hitting him. He will be back. They always return to the scene of the crime.

It's been 95F, and the house is hot, but since I wish to be able to sleep sometime tonight, I closed all the windows except my bedroom slider. As I mentioned, it's been 26 years since the last time a bear burgled my house. The other time, I had just moved in and had left for ten minutes to gather rocks for a retaining wall I was building. When I returned, there was a bear in my living room. But that bear had demolished every room in the house in the ten minutes I was gone. There are still scratch marks on the bathtub and on my kitchen stove and the window sill over the kitchen sink. The microwave was smashed on the floor. Drawers were yanked out onto the floor, and broken house plants and spilled potting soil were strewn everywhere. It took six hours to clean up the mess, and the bear came back that evening for more.

This time the mess was isolated to the end of the living room where my worm farm was. Luckily, the bear was satisfied only with the worms and not the beetles. As it was, meal worms were crawling madly all over the living room, but they move slowly. If he had dumped out all the beetles, those suckers move fast and in no time would be running over every inch of my 900 square foot floor space. So I have that to be thankful for.

View attachment 2723589View attachment 2723590Good times.
This puts a whole new spin on way of life.
Most worry about keeping predators out/away from coop/run....and then there's the rest! I have never even heard of bear spray, and for you to have it at hand immediately, just overwhelms my thinking.
You have my respect!
Stay safe, repair damage.
Ummmm, think of ways to
Ummmmm
Predator proof your house?
Boy that's a thought!

View attachment 2723589View attachment 2723590Good times.
OMG! I would have evacuated my bowels immediately. So glad that you’re not being turned into bear poop right now!!!!

good grief! Kudos to you for your calmness under duress; I suspect I'd freak out and run amok, even if the rational part of my brain knew it was a very bad idea. Or freeze. I definitely would not think of pointing to the door, as if it was a chicken in the house!
Can you hot wire around your house?
So glad to hear that the chickens are OK too btw :p

No, I didn't get much sleep. think it was close to 3 am when I finally passed out. It takes time for adrenaline to work its way out of ones system, then you crash.

Amazingly, the actual destruction was minimal, and besides, the damned insurance company installed a hefty $2000 deductible on my policy a few years ago.

Mealworm wrangling took some time. Some sadly got crushed when the 400 pound bear and 110 pound human stepped on them. That made for an unpleasant aspect of cleanup.

Yes, my brain will be busy today trying to figure a way to run the hot wire across my porch windows.

Luckily, I am very cool under pressure, or I would have been badly injured if I had panicked. The bear was cornered. That's extremely dangerous. A few years ago, just four miles from where I live, a woman was badly mauled in her home. and required months of reconstructive surgery.

I have experience dodging angry bears. Having chickens is a bear magnet, and this is far from being an isolated incident. Bears have assaulted my coops and runs at least four or five times over the years, most with me present for the fun, and once the bear was inches from my face snarling at me with only a steel hog panel between us. Now I have bear spray strategically placed in the run, outside the run, and in my house.

Could you put some welded or woven wire up over the outside of the windows and make the wire hot. The bear has to be touching the ground but when it reaches for the window hits the hot wire. I'm sure it will be back since it discovered the bounty and since it went through one window it may think of any window as a way to get to the bounty. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom