It's been a while since I've had chickens...any help?

shy519

Chirping
May 29, 2015
Chadwick, MO
I moved into a more suburban area and I finally convinced my bf to get us a couple chicks as I have a tick borne syndrome and cannot be bit or I will get even more sick. We have them as pets and bug maintenance when they get old enough. For now they are only chicks. Bought them as two gold laced wyandottes from TSC just a couple days ago and they appear to be a cockerel and pullet already. Since they are so young and we don't have a lot of property I'm keeping them in our spare room in their own box with bedding, water, food, and lamp. I take them outside only if it is warm enough for them to learn about foraging and sometimes when they are restless I take them out and let them run around on the tile inside. I was just doing that as it's night and there's a bad storm booming and the cockerel seems to have bowel issues and both are sneezing. No signs of mucous or vent issues. Seems to be a non productive sneeze. Can chickens get pollen allergies? By bowel issues with the cockerel, I mean that when I had him out he made three poos within 10 minutes and the pullet did none. Each of his movements was runnier than the last. Could he be taking in more water as he may be too warm? These chicks are only 2 weeks old and I finally found the correct hight for their heat lamp to the don't sprawl out panting anymore. Any help?

Regarded the poop...have you heard of or read anything about coccidiosis yet?
I do not think chickens can get pollen allergies.
Is there brooder dusty?

A long time ago I have. I need to brush up again. Hmm. I know they've been scratching their food out of the feeder with their heads and I could see that being powdery. Maybe that's it?
Could be.
Keep an eye on the poops since you are taking them outisde where they could be exposed to coccidia.
Triple check the temps in your brooder too because if they spill water and it stays warm in there that is a breeding ground for coccidia too.

Since they are in your house it shouldn't be too cold indoors for them to not have added heat at this age.
I put 2 week old chicks outside last week with no added heat and they are not even fully feathered but I am in Texas and it is not below freezing here.

How old are they, in weeks? My chicks pooped frequently when they were young, and the consistency sometimes varied. It could be coccidiosis. If so, you'll have to separate them and thoroughly clean out the brooder.

Could be.
Keep an eye on the poops since you are taking them outisde where they could be exposed to coccidia.
Triple check the temps in your brooder too because if they spill water and it stays warm in there that is a breeding ground for coccidia too.

Since they are in your house it shouldn't be too cold indoors for them to not have added heat at this age.
I put 2 week old chicks outside last week with no added heat and they are not even fully feathered but I am in Texas and it is not below freezing here.
I cheated and taped the water to the bottom of the brooder so that it's guaranteed that it won't spill or tip. We keep our house at least 65 at night and may get as warm as 80 at the sun's peak.
I just did a quick read on coccidiosis and the only symptoms he seems to have is the diaherrea. Is there something I can do to help him fight it? I have Bragg's apple cider vinegar. Could I put that in the water to help? Would that even help?

How old are they, in weeks? My chicks pooped frequently when they were young, and the consistency sometimes varied. It could be coccidiosis. If so, you'll have to separate them and thoroughly clean out the brooder.
They're only about 2 weeks. I haven't had chicks in forever so it could just be frequent poops. Hard to say, unless they firm up

I cheated and taped the water to the bottom of the brooder so that it's guaranteed that it won't spill or tip. We keep our house at least 65 at night and may get as warm as 80 at the sun's peak.
I just did a quick read on coccidiosis and the only symptoms he seems to have is the diaherrea. Is there something I can do to help him fight it? I have Bragg's apple cider vinegar. Could I put that in the water to help? Would that even help?
No ACV won't do anything but if he is active and eating I wouldn't treat him right now.
Just keep an eye out.
Are you feeding treats? If so stop...just give them a complete chick feed.

I agree with @Texas Kiki on the AVC, if they are picking up dust from the feed, it could very well be that it's irritating the nares and mlcausing them to sneeze. I really wouldn't worry about it right now but if mucous starts showing up then I'd think about treating.

Back
Top Bottom