It's been over a week....

monicabendele

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
I posted over about a week ago. My chicken's foot is injured. I've kept her inside in a shower enclosure for a week. she used a hammock for a day, but won't tolerate staying in it, so mostly she just stands or lays in her enclosure , sometimes placing injured foot down to take steps, but lifting it more quickly than the other side. she is eating, drinking, laying, and "chattering". I am assuming the hurt part is in the middle portion of the foot, as I thought I noted some swelling there, at the beginning. I tried to reintroduce her to the flock twice, but they quickly picked up on her vulnerability and picked on her. When I next reintroduce, I'll try at night when they are sleepy in the coop. But What should I do? she down't seem to be making any notable progress.

Keep waiting?
Get X-ray?
Does she need a perch?
Just reintroduce her at night and see what happens?

How did she injure it? I personally would keep her away from the flock until she gets better. Or can you put her in a small pen next to the flock so she can see her flock mates but not get picked on?

I mean if she’s already eating and drinking and chattering she must be lively enough to socialize but not well enough to fend for herself.

It can take weeks for a sprain or broken bone to heal. Instead of isolating away from the others, I would keep her with her flock inna dog crate with food and water. That way she can remain familiar to them, and it would be easier to reintegrate. Xrays would help if it was a broken leg, but if it is the foot, there are multiple bones, and resting the foot might be best. Usually when you start a thread about a chicken, it can be best to continue to update that same thread, and that way the people who have helped you before can get up to date info.
I agree that she should not be introduced at night or you may get her injured further.

I had a hen with an injured foot not too long ago too. I put her in a crate in the covered, secure run for days until she no longer had a limp. I didn't want her trying to get up or down from the roost & I didn't want her separated from the others, hoping that reintegration would be easier.

I felt bad for her spending so much time in there, & she wasn't happy, but I knew if she wasn't 100% she'd just hurt it again.

I don't know your setup, if that's an option for you or not, but I had 0 reintegration issues so it worked well & I'd do it that way again if I had to.

Good luck!

Second what others have said about keeping her together with the others in some sort of crate within the run or coop. My Buff had (and still has) a limp/bad leg from an injury. I kept her in a large dog crate so she could rest but still be around the other flock members. She seemed to enjoy being around the others while recovering.

Attachments

• F64EA550-2158-487E-B7EC-A7CE3EE3E4CA.jpeg
    F64EA550-2158-487E-B7EC-A7CE3EE3E4CA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Our hen with a leg injury still limps four months later and I think may always be lame. She was kept separate for a few months but in a coop and run inside the run of the main flock so she was always close to them. She only hopped for three weeks and slowly built up to walking again, so these things can really take a long time. We reintegrated her with the flock when we felt she was strong and healthy enough to not get picked on and she is our best layer (she didn't lay at all in the 'hopping phase') and in otherwise great form.

I think your chicken may just need a long recovery time but it would be ideal if you can crate her in with the flock as others have said.

I had a hen with an injured foot not too long ago too. I put her in a crate in the covered, secure run for days until she no longer had a limp. I didn't want her trying to get up or down from the roost & I didn't want her separated from the others, hoping that reintegration would be easier.

I felt bad for her spending so much time in there, & she wasn't happy, but I knew if she wasn't 100% she'd just hurt it again.

I don't know your setup, if that's an option for you or not, but I had 0 reintegration issues so it worked well & I'd do it that way again if I had to.

Good luck!

I've had her in a glass shower enclosure for over a week, now. I would like to move her into the run, in a crate, but it is cold outside.

Our hen with a leg injury still limps four months later and I think may always be lame. She was kept separate for a few months but in a coop and run inside the run of the main flock so she was always close to them. She only hopped for three weeks and slowly built up to walking again, so these things can really take a long time. We reintegrated her with the flock when we felt she was strong and healthy enough to not get picked on and she is our best layer (she didn't lay at all in the 'hopping phase') and in otherwise great form.

I think your chicken may just need a long recovery time but it would be ideal if you can crate her in with the flock as others have said.
I agree, just concerned about the weather right now. I'm in CO. I guess would require a crate in the run and crate in the coop to keep her integrated. She is laying. She only skipped a day. She puts weight on the leg, now, but starts lifting it again after too much time walking on it.

Thinking of waiting another week, then reintegrating her at night when she is well. I don't have a crate to use in the run and/or coop, but I'll think on it.

Back
Top Bottom