It's getting cold...

Sure can, you can put it under it or in the water as you like. I have used one in a metal bucket with no problems. It's pretty much what it's made for, if you had a fish in the waterer. Just don't put the plug end under the water of that could be an ouch moment
hmm.png

most chickens do not like to go out into the snow if it's very deep.

If you lay boards across the snow, will the chickens walk around on them and get some exercise?​

Chickabee 19 asked:
If you lay boards across the snow, will the chickens walk around on them and get some exercise?

Good question. I, personally, don't know but it sounds to me like it would work.​

Quote:
If you lay boards across the snow, will the chickens walk around on them and get some exercise?

I got tired of shoveling all the snow, so before the snow fell we put up sawhorses with plywood on it to create more snow-free area for the birds, and sort of a covered walkway to get from the coop to the covered area of the run. They love it, I love it, everybody's happy.
big_smile.png

How cold does it get in Alaska where you are? Here in central Ontario we get down to -30C, which is about -30F on a few occasions each winter. Mostly our nights are only -20C with daytime highs of -10C. I had planned to put our 6 birds in the freezer by Christmas but if they do go out in the cold I will put a heater under the water pail and try to keep them over, provided they start laying again.....
roll.png

The coldest I've seen here so far is -40F. Jan/Feb are generally in the -20 to -30F range, and we rarely get above 0F then. Yep... brrrr.
smile.png

Wow, that's cold. We moved here to Arkansas from south, FL and we are cold in the winter - our winter averages about 40-50F
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom