It's getting soup making time of year!

hdmax

Songster
8 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Central Ohio
Now that the 90+ degree weather has passed, and we are in a very nice cool down (Low to mid 60's for high temperature this weekend!)
It has got me thinking of soup! What are your favorite soups?
Mine has got to be Hungarian Soup! The nice thing about it is you can use pretty much any kind of meat, and even mix types. I have used Beef, Pork, and Chicken in the same batch, and it was extremely good.
I learned how to make it from my Mother, and she learned from her Mother-in-Law (My Grandmother on my Dad's side!) I have never seen a recipe anywhere, so I will try to explain how to make it!

In a large stock pot, (I use a 16 Qt., My Mother used a 36 Qt, we had 15 in our family!) So I will give estimates for a 16 qt pot.!
Put the meat whole or cut however you'd like it! (If using chicken or turkey, it is a good idea to wrap and tie in cheese cloth as the bones sometimes fall apart!) I use a whole chicken (5-7 lb, or 4-5 lb pork or beef typically, (Bone in, it gives the soup a much better flavor.) cover with tap water bring to a slow boil. Cook for about 2 hours over low/med heat. (Longer if you are using a tough meat!)
1 qt. tomatoes, (I use canned tomatoes, and tomato juice!) and 1 qt. juice
2 lb. carrots peeled and cut in to 3" pieces
4-5 lb potatoes peeled and quartered
1/2 head cabbage cut in to semi large pieces ( The Hungarians used 3-5 kohlrabi sliced, young before it gets tough and stringy, but it is hard to find!)
1 bunch celery cut in to 3" pieces

Add carrots and cabbage to stock, simmer for about an hour, then add other ingredients.
Simmer until tender adding salt, pepper, (Season to taste.) and paprika about 30 minutes before removing from heat. Anytime you get food with potatoes too salty, just add more potatoes.
About 45 minutes to an hour before soup is ready to serve prepare
cook 2 lb. of small or medium shell macaroni as per cooking instructions, rinse with cold water to completely cook.
and 2 lb. fine egg noodles as per cooking instructions, rinse till completely cool.

Serve the soup over noodles and shells.This is by far my favorite soup for those cold winter days.

Hungarian Soup sounds delightful! I will certainly try it as it gets colder here in SW Colorado. And it's starting to!

My favorite cold-season soup is a tomato-pepper-potato puree topped with a poached egg and fresh bacon bits and herbs. I think I'll call it 'Sunset Soup' as it hasn't really been named, and the colors of the sunset are present. Here's the recipe:

3 quarts beef or chicken broth
1 quart water - if needed to thin broth
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
4-6 peppers of choice, sliced. I like jalapenos, poblanos and fresnos - and I save some pith and seeds for extra spice! Remove all pith and seeds if you're not a fan of spiciness.
2 large potatoes
16 ounces canned or fresh tomatoes
6-10 strips of bacon
bouquet garni (Bay leaf, thyme, leek, pepper corns or any other desired herbs, wrapped in cheesecloth - tied off with kitchen twine)
eggs
bunches of parsley or basil for garnish, chopped

1. Place bacon in stock pot and cook on medium, turning as needed, until desired crispiness is achieved. Remove from pot and blot excess grease and set aside. Do not burn it, or your soup will taste like burnt bacon!
tongue.gif

2. With pot still on medium heat, add chopped onion to that lovely bacon grease. Cook until brown around edges but not burned. This gives the soup a major blast of flavor! Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes more.
3. Add stock and bring to a boil - add bouquet garni
4. Add peppers and simmer about 30 minutes.
5. Add potatoes and tomatoes and simmer 30 more minutes.
6. When potatoes are soft, turn off heat, remove bouquet garni, and a) if using a blender, let sit 30 minutes to cool; or, b) if using a emulsifier, let sit 5-10 minutes. Puree to desired consistency. If you want to have a truly smooth soup, run through a sieve a few times and finish off through a cheesecloth. I like the tomato seeds and other bits, so I don't strain mine.
7. Coarsely chop bacon. Poach an egg or two for each serving. Blot with paper towel to remove excess water.
8. Ladle soup into bowl, drop poached egg in center. Sprinkle with bacon bits and fresh-ground pepper and garnish with herbs. Serve with grilled cheese for extra excellence. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm a vegetarian, but your recipes look very tempting
droolin.gif
I often have a hard time choosing my favorite soup... but here is one of many.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 strip of bacon or 1 teaspoon of bacon fat (substitute 1/2 Tbsp of butter for vegetarian option)
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 large carrot, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
  • 1/2 celery stalk, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
  • 3 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed from the cobs (about 2 cups), cobs reserved
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 1/2 cups milk, whole or low fat
  • 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, or Russet, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Recipe:
  • 1 In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the bacon strip (skip this step for vegetarian option, just add more butter) and fry until the bacon renders its fat, but doesn't begin to brown, 3 or 4 minutes. Add the onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until soft. Add the carrot and celery and cook for 4 or 5 more minutes.
2 Break the corn cobs in half and add them to the saucepan. Add the milk and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes. Make sure the heat is as low as can be and still maintain a gentle simmer (on our stove we had to use the "warm" setting) to prevent scalding the milk on the bottom of the pan.
3 Discard the cobs, the bacon strip, and the bay leaf. Raise the heat, add the potatoes, red pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, fresh ground pepper to taste, bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost fork tender.
4 Raise the heat, add the corn kernels and the thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I make lots of home made soups. Each batch is unique!! I made turkey soup just yesterday, more tomorrow!!!
I wonder if turkey potato would be good????

Made split pea the other day. I chop onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté in whatever fat, this time was bacon grease. Added some diced ham and let it all brown a little. Add the split peas and 8cups water or broth--this time was water. Salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion, some parsley and let her simmer until nice and thick.

An Australian Pumpkin Soup Recipe!

I am convinced not enough people eat pumpkins. I love em and usually the easiest way to convert people into pumpkin addicts is to start them off with something like a pumpkin soup.

You will need:
-1 pumpkin, around the size of a regular Butternut. Any pumpkin around the size of a basketball I would only use half
-1 large onion
-1 Tablespoon of butter
-1 Liter of chicken stock
-pinch of sage
-enough milk or cream to reach desired consistency, anywhere from 1/2 a cup to 1 cup (or sometimes a little bit more)

Start with 1 pumpkin, Butternut is always a good and easily available source, otherwise you can try a meatier variety of pumpkin. (the only one I WOULD NOT use is a carving pumpkin). If using a Butternut, poke holes all over the whole pumpkin, place it on a casserole dish and fill it with water until it is about 1cm high. Bake in an oven at 400F for 1 hour.
When your pumpkin is about 30 minutes along, quarter 1 large onion and place it in a large pot with some butter and cook until it is translucent and soft.
Once onion is soft, sprinkle in a pinch of sage and add 1 Liter of chicken stock (home made is always the best!)
By now the pumpkin should be done in the oven, so take it out and cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and stringy parts. Cut off the skin and cube the pumpkin, placing it in the stock.
Cook the pumpkin in the stock until it is soft enough to mash.
Scoop all of the ingredients out of the pot and into a blender. Blend the mixture, it will be thick.
Add enough cream or milk to the soup until it reaches the desired consistency (it should be somewhat thick, similar to a pea soup).
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom