It's getting worse!!!

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I had posted the other day about my baby chicks having mushy watery swollen crop and that they hadn't had water because it backed up with litter. i then provided them with new and this occured. Many people replied that they thought it was because they drank alot of water to make up for the lack and because the temps here are soooo hot. But now a day or so later some still have it and some it seems have nothing at ALL. One of them kept falling asleep and when i picked it up its crop was so swollen that i could see the veins and through to things floating in there. Also that bone that runs downt the middle of their stomach? I can actually see it, like the color of it its sticking out so much. I know you can normally feel it.
I had a problem with another of these chicks. It had a lame wing and still does. They also don't eat treats but will the feed. Odd my others love my treats. Im wondering if its the chicks and the person who gave them to me. it has really upset me. I love these chicks. if anyone had an idea, clue, or thought PLEASE PLEASE tell me.

Your chicks are too young for treats, and should not have separate grit yet.

They should be getting starter feed which contains the appropriate amount of grit.

I don't know why, but chicks will gorge on loose grit and can be impacted.

Have you consulted the person who provided the chicks?

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the question. How old are the chicks and where are they kept? What exactly are you feeding them?
Lynn

Ok I don't know of your other post so .....
Get electrolytes and vitamins in the waterer. Get some hard boiled egg for them to up their protein.
Brooder should be at 96 - 98 degrees for the first week and decrease temp by 5 degrees every week after that.
Sometimes they need a little vitamin and electrolyte boost.
Some one else might chime in too!!!

The only treats i give them is yogurt and suc. They dont get any grit. They stay in a brooder and sometimes i let them stay in a pen outside because it is way tooo hot for them. They pant. i was wondering if you could tell me what you think this is. all of the chicks seemed to have it one day and today its like one is super full and bad, two or three others is moderate and the last ones don't seem to have anything but a slight mush feel that i probably wouldn't have noticed if i didn't see all the rest. No i havent contacted the person who gave them to me. Should I?

Back
Top Bottom