It's gonna take some time to do. but....

SarahBeth9394

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Finally I got my hubby on board for chickens. He kept coming up with this or that reason not to and those reasons are all about to expire soon. It's gonna take some time to build because I'm really frugal and there's so much more that the family budget can go to. At the end of summer we will be about ready to start this project. So wish me luck because I really hope that I can find some of the materials on freecycle and cl. My freecycle group is small and all the cl adds are quite a drive from us. I got lucky and found some windows. And well I found a great brooder last year that ended up being used for something else. I'm just asking for yall to send good vibes and prayers this way for success in finding materials and getting this started.

good luck!!
clap.gif

You know he tried to put it off another bit saying he wanted to wait till it cooled off like in Oct. I told him we'll take our time to get materials and work here and there on it because I won't want to be out there at 2pm in the hot summer sun either. We even agreed on doing the build then adding the electricity in the winter.

I warn ya, my hubby fought against getting the 3 layers I wanted then one day he picked up my McMurray catalog............"Wow, look at those, wow, they have some cool ducks, look Geese!"
smile.png
My three hens became 20 and 5 ducks.

Three years later it's 18 chickens, plus 10 more in the brooders, 6 ducks, 3 coops, 1 tractor, and he's shopping around for our "starter" incubator becuase he has two bantam lines he wants to breed and show.
tongue.png

my situation was just the opposite!! at first i didnt want something else to take care of.... then i started reading up and to buy a coop was sooooo expensive..... so i finally caved and told the hubby to get started building a coop.... I got the chickens and now we are in the process of building a chicken mansion! LOL we probably spent a little more than the standard 6 chicken coop... not by much.... and have enought room for 36 chickens!!!! its soooo worth building your own! as everything, its ending up costing more than i had thought it would... most in the hardware cloth for the run... I love my chickens now!!! I have 21... some still under the heat lamp and the other 11 just went into their coop! still have to build nesting boxes... and as i type he is putting up the hardware cloth!

I don't think he'll get that into it. But I may have him talked into a couple of turkeys as well. I really like gunslinger's coop and may go real similar to his. But it may need to be bigger if we get a couple of turkeys. I wish I could find a small shed for sale but I don't have a truck to haul it with. Man it's frustrating to be in Texas and not have a truck.

I did tell the hubby I wasn't getting leghorns (he likes them) because if I want white eggs I can buy them at the store. I'm thinking EE's and Marans. He is absolutley against ducks and draws the line. Who knows maybe next year I can add a few. He's not a geese guy either. He's ok with turkeys because they will eventually be dinner.

Back
Top Bottom