It's HOT - Keep your birds feeling their best!

I fill milk jugs with water and freeze them and put them in their water bowls. I also give them frozen veggies in a big bowl of water and they love it!! It's like eating little ice cubes. We were 105 a couple of days ago!! I can't imagine what July and August will be like!!

I like to treat my girls to chickencicles when it gets hot.. I make yogurt,apple sauce,pumpkin,water and raisin really the sky is the limit to what you could make. I use ice cube trays and fill them with this stuff and freeze it then pop them into a bowl let sit a couple minutes and serve. I also do smoothies one with all sorts of veggies and fruit. I hope this helps.. Jody

goodpost.gif
caught somthing on the weather channel about dealing with excessive heat that
i think might apply to more than just us humans.
Sweet drinks can make dehydration worse but you can offer chilled fruits as a cool treat.
I noticed my cat eats less during hot weather and will do his eating in the cool of the day. We might want to offer food before the heat rises or after it breaks in the evening.
Also take care of yourselves, you can't help your birds if you get heat sick.

I make mud puddles for my girls. They love it. 3 or 4 times a day when it is over 90 I will take a pail out with cold tap water. I fill up the dust bath holes with the water and they drink it, walk in it, lay in it. They seem to love it even when the water is gone and have seen them standing in the mud. It makes sense to me.

I also put ice in their waterers and give them frozen fruit when it is really hot.

I have heard people here mentioning about the broodies and giving them frozen pop bottles in the nesting box with them. They can sit next to it and it will help cool their body temperature. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom