Sponsored Post It's HOT - Keep your birds feeling their best!

Yes fans are good for the coop! Just make sure not to put them where it could hurt the chickens. I have one that draws the hot air out the window and one that circulates the air. Mine only go in the coop during the day to lay their eggs. It gets so hot here in Arkansas that I bought mine an A/C unit 2 years ago and run it at night while they sleep. They really do come out each morning looking so refreshed and ready to fight another HOT day!!

With a heat index of 108-110 here along the south gulf coast of Texas....I might aswell add this into" my list of things to do to keep the chickens healthy in the heat" along with misting them AND regularly bathing them AND fanning them. Oh lord the price I pay to not deal with snow in the winter!

take a cheap plastic bottle from the dollar store and fill it with water, lightly mist her and be sure to get UNDER her feathers on the skin. its ok if you get a TEENY bit on the eggs. because of the fact that the shell insulates the baby(thats its job too) and they are under momma which will make it a-ok. to get water in her take a eyedropper and,she may not like this but it has to be done,open her mouth using your finger nails and stick it in her beak. squirt it out and do that often.from there you should be good

I have been adding this to all the water containers. I also have the mister going from about 10 in the morning to about 6 in the evening. They really use it ! I have a red rooster who has curly feathers all summer from the misting system. Really cute. We have been to 110 so far -- and I know July will brinjg some really scary high temps. ''''''''''''''''' When the temps get over 120 I let them come out of their caged in area a long the north side of the house, and they go out on the lawn and under the trees, where they spend the days in dirt baths.
So far I have not lost any - but it is a worry. "steaming in LAS Vegas"

Try finding a grass or dirt area that is in the shade and hose it down until it is pretty wet with water, then bring a bowl of cool water into the area, and bring your chickens over to the area. Try offering them pices of (if you have it) cold watermelon, to help cool them down and enocurage them to eat/drink. I live in califorina, and it got up to around 106 degrees, and I used this method to cool off my chickens. I hope this helps!

I give my girls cold or frozen watermelon, they love it!! If you look up online you will see it is packed with electrolytes as well as many vitamins.. And with it being 114 here all week, I can tell you, they really appreciate it.
smile.png

take a cheap plastic bottle from the dollar store and fill it with water, lightly mist her and be sure to get UNDER her feathers on the skin. its ok if you get a TEENY bit on the eggs. because of the fact that the shell insulates the baby(thats its job too) and they are under momma which will make it a-ok. to get water in her take a eyedropper and,she may not like this but it has to be done,open her mouth using your finger nails and stick it in her beak. squirt it out and do that often.from there you should be good

Thanks sTennchicknqueen,
yesterday I was helped to move the chicken coop to another area. i had to handle the eggs as I did not want them to bounce around! The coop is now under an RV roof that came with the house and I have a fan running near one of the opennings so that the boxes stay fresh. They were not panting yesterday, I put gatorade in their waters (it did not look nice as it was a red color) but they still drink it. I ran a socker water in the bottom for time to time and they seem to be fine.
but in case they do not want to drink and they are panting again, i will bring the got dropper to action.

i need to quit buying chicken food and buy more dog food because i can fill the dogs food bowls and walk back out side and they will be eating it

I have thought the same thing about cat food, but then again, I have a cat that eat the chicken mash. I won't be surprised when my cat starts growing feathers and clucking and the chickens start to meow...
hu.gif

The following article is sponsored by Sav-A-Chick[SUP]
00ae.png
[/SUP].
[SIZE=14pt]It’s HOT – Keep your birds feeling their best with Electrolytes[/SIZE] When the temperature rises, you may reach for an extra glass of water, juice or an energy drink to stay hydrated and feeling your best. Birds have similar needs, and may need an extra boost of electrolytes and vitamins when the weather gets hot, or if they are stressed in any way. When a bird is stressed, it can affect their appetite and energy. Some of the common stress-inducing factors are: · High environmental temperature which could lead to the following signs in the bird: an increase in water consumption, a decrease in feed consumption, spreading of wings, panting with increased respiration and seeking comparatively colder spots · Handling of birds when cleaning coops or transportation to another site · Exposure to disease and recovery, such as an intestinal disease (coccidiosis) or a respiratory disease (infectious bronchitis) Recommendations
Your birds’ drinking water is an easy way to supply nutrients when they are not eating and drinking enough. It is important to… · Supply cool, clean water at all times · Feed a well-balanced ration, that contains optimum levels of nutrients, such as protein, vitamins and trace minerals Supplementing drinking water with vitamins and electrolytes is recommended especially when feed intake is impaired. Prepare fresh solutions daily and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Other significant benefits from supplementing drinking water with balanced vitamins include improved calcium absorption (vitamin D3) and intake of important antioxidants (vitamin E). For more information visit: http://savachick.com/ or http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/backyard_poultry.htm [SIZE=10pt]Reviewed by Canadian Poultry Consultants Ltd., a Veterinary practise dedicated to poultry health since 1989.[/SIZE] [/URL
ihave the same insact hen as in this pic.im just trying to figure out her bred

Back
Top Bottom