It's JUST A COOP!!!!

kmwright

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
Winters, CA
For the love of Pete. It's a house. For chickens. Where they poop and lay eggs. Why does it have to be so intricate?

My coop was a dog house with one opening and a roost that was a tree branch. Buuuuuut now I've seen all the awesomeness that is on the Coop Page and I must make it the Taj Mahal of chicken coops! See what you all have done to me? You've made me the crazy chicken lady!!!

barnie.gif

If you saw our old (current) chicken house, your dog house is Taj Mahal! Ours is OLD and slowly sinking.

But, I trimmed the hedges and cleared a lot of stuff out of the garden, so how you can get a pretty nice view of it. Considering it is in the midst of 3/4 Mil $$ homes, it seemed wise to upgrade..... That and my elderly mom keeps the chickens, so the longer she can safely do it the better off she is.

Our new coop is going to be cute enough to view from the street and fit Moms needs (and thus mine)

But I spent most of yesterday and today making fancy end doors to match the 100 year old windows on the house....For CHICKENS....lol

I agree. My coop is not pretty, but it works. Lately it hasn't been working that well, though, because I want more chickens and I need more room. I am on a budget (poor grad student that I am) but I want the new coop to at least be painted
smile.png

Ha ha I wish I had a dollar for every time my husband and I have said that to each other while building our coop! Everything that doesn't come out right, every measuring/cutting mistake, every oops! gets "It's just a chicken coop!" to remind us that it doesn't have to be perfect. What started out as simple and frugal no longer is either. But we're having fun!

--Another crazy chicken lady

We just built some runs with 2x4's and hardware cloth-- using dog houses right now for shelter, but plan to built coops in the next couple weeks!!

My girls have a nice somewhat coop and refuse to use it for anything but to lay eggs!!!! Rain and those stupid girls look miserable and shake off the rain but refuse to go in, they roost in a pear tree or the door to their pen but never come out unless i let them .....are they really that stupid? We have cold winters, i hope the dont turn into chickencicles any idaes on how to get them to GO IN!!!

Yeah...some pretty intricate coops out there
smile.png
But you know, even if I had an outhouse I'd want it fixed up cute...
tongue.png
I think when you have a coop you consider cute, or pretty, or unique, that you just enjoy it more...spending time out there and such...

Back
Top Bottom