It's nice to be here!

TheMoncktons

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Kilkivan, Queensland, Australia
Hi, we are the Moncktons, Rob and Ness. We have had chickens for almost 9 months since we moved from the city to a more rural area. We started with 10 chickens bought from the local rural supplies place. We had 3 brown hens (not sure what all of our breeds are) 2 buff sussex', 3 white leghorns? and two white hens with grey collars. One of our buffs went broody so we bought 6 fertilised eggs, four hatched out (turned out to be 2 buff sussex roosters, 1 light sussex rooster and 1 buff sussex hen). We then had two of the white leghorns go broody so bought 12 eggs from the local market (4 hatchlings - all what we think are golden pencil hamburgs) and 6 other eggs (6 chicks, 3 silver speckled hamburgs - 2 hens and 1 rooster and 3 black and white silkies (again not sure exactly what breed). We then inherited 3 more brown hens that were in poor condition. Totalling 27 chickens all together. So much for keeping it small!! We are not planning on keeping the roosters at this point so decided to sell the light sussex rooster and the silver hamburgs at the local chicken sales. When we took them in they said we couldn't leave one of the hamburg hens as she had a cold so we came straight home and looked up on the internet about chickens and colds and read a posting on BYC deciding to become a member immediately. Rob is a keen fisherman and gardener. He also plays xbox. He cares for our 3yo daughter, S14 yo daughter and the house while I work. I like to read and catch up with friends via facebook. The chickens have become my other interest. I have names for a few and call them my girls. We also have a dog, Bob and a cat Menush.

You did mean born in Australia didn't you, not meaning Aborigine?? We were born here. Reason why I ask is I was telling my husband the question about being native Australians and then thought, Native American means Indian doesn't it so maybe you were thinking along the same lines??

Greetings, Rob & Ness, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you with us! Best of luck to you and your flock!

Welcome,, from costa rica you will find a wealth of information from A-Z here from fowl fanciers from around the world on just about any breed domestic or exotic the community here @ byc is a one stop shop for all q&a to help you and your flock thrive ,,, oh and some of of fish too ,,, lol welcome

Back
Top Bottom