1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Its official they are spoiled

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ridgefire, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    My wife made me buy a floating deicer for their pond. So now they have open water all winter long. 'I give up, I bought these pekin for the meat but now they are pets and have a higher status than me.

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sounds about right! [​IMG]

3. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Yup, sounds spot on! My husband got ours for the eggs and cos they were free and he thought they'd be a super cheap pet. Their hut cost 170 quid and they are getting a new run in Feb that is going to be something close to 350 quid. And that is 350 quid more than we got!!!
    Plus their hut is falling apart a little so it's only a matter of time before they get a new hut and it'll have to be a better more expensive one!!. Pretty soon they are going to have cost more than his car!!
    Too late though. I love em tooo much already!

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I almost thought I shouldn't reply to this topic... lol... If you look up SPOILED in the dictionary, I swear there is a picture of my ducks next to the entry... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Right now they have-
    Their own bedroom in my 3 bedroom townhouse.
    2 tubs for their daily baths (that have to be lukewarm, if too cold, victor gets out and stands on the edge pooping on the floor, punk duck)
    Pond food for their daily bathes
    Once a week live food like feeder fish/worms/crickets, etc
    Lights on a timer, so they get an adequate amount of light a day
    Horse pellet bedding that is pre-wetted in a bucket so it's soft for them
    A ceramic space heater
    A humidifier
    A daily fresh treat that always has at least greens, peas, corn or tomatoes in it, often times with 7 other food items
    Their feed has pellets, calf manna, scratch, grit, oyster shells, 3 kinds of dried peas, sunflower seeds, parrot pellets, cat food, flax seeds, cracked corn, barley, oats, buckwheat, vitamin powder.
    After their baths they get to sit on our bed with us, getting dried off and petted/cuddled
    And ever morning I go to their pens and sing them their good morning song and for those ducks who are in a lovey mood, they get petted and sometimes mini ducky massages.

And on top of that, they are getting a brand new 115 square foot pen built, that will be two floors in two places, and will have a dark coop, run, feeding area, a heated mini brooding coop, and a foraging center. I also plan on painting it nicely for them, caulking it, and sealing it.

Oh and have I mentioned that they get to go to the pet store with us, get taking for walks out in the park, get to go for cars rides just for fun, have more toys then they know what to do with, have their own pillows, get to pick their own colors for harnesses, and my one duck ming mei likes to have her toe nails painted every now and then and of course she chooses the color, lol (which is almost always red).

Yeah, I'm crazy... Have I mentioned that yet?

5. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Your ducks have a morning song? Mine only have a nighty-night song. (Which Rory always sings along to!). Now I'm thinkin they should have a morning song tooooo.
    Their nighty-night song is in Gaelic, I'll have to see if there are any Gaelic morning songs!

6. hrdwrkgrl

hrdwrkgrl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    (giggling) xoxox

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Quote:Oh those silly ducks have all sorts of songs! Including singing their names to random melodies like the superman theme song, or changing the words to the "Lollipop" song to Ollie Duck instead. lol

So, how do those deicers work? do it break up the ice or does it melt it? I tried doing a google search, but all i get are pictures of weird looking devises, lol.

8. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Lol
    I DO sing Doogies name to the Indiana Jones theme...

9. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:Haha! I sing (horribly out of tune of course) "Ducky-duck-duck ducky-duck ducky-duck-duck ducky-duck-duck-duck" to the Indiana Jones theme!

10. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    nettie your ducks sure are lucky! something about ducks, at first its just like oh, they're just ducks. but nooo they're more than that lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by