It's only the beginning of winter but...

boyswillbeboys

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
So its been cold and miserable, rain snow mix and my girls and boy have been in six of the last 10 days and their feathers are starting to look rough, especially the tail feathers on a few of my white leghorns. Is this something to be concerned about, or am I over reacting? We are using fresh straw for bedding, (it's what's available, here) we picked it up The same day it was baled, they hadn't even finished all the fields. They are on high quality locally milled layer pellets, with oyster shell and granite grit free choice on the side. I've been feeding the 25 of them 1/2 a cup (just increased to 1cup) of BOSS sprouted for several days, every morning, the girls are laying 18-21 eggs a day. They were in perfect form before the snow came, and about 1/2 the flock was getting out and free ranging, while the rest stayed in the large run.

Are you keeping them in for a reason? or are they staying in themselves? They can go out in the snow, if they choose to...it won't hurt them and mine love eating the snow...they could be pecking each other, or maybe starting to molt? How old are they?

They are 21 weeks, I started keeping them in because it was alternating freezing rain and snow, I didn't want them to get wet and then freeze, now it's -13c during the day and will only get colder outside.

Back
Top Bottom