It's over, she's out of her misery

Vyraal

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Southern California
What I believes to be wry neck on my favorite chicken I now believe to be mareks, but honesty I need some other people's experience. I really don't want to put her down if it's something treatable so I just need some help here. Her symptoms are the inability to use her good leg, but she can still move it and scoot about, she eats and drinks fine, but tonight I noticed what looks to be a tumor on her neck just below the beak. It's about the size of a mushy goofball and slightly bloody so honestly I don't know anymore. In really bad with animal sickness and in kind of freaking out.

I'm currently logging on to my computer so Ivan upload the picture I have.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you and your poor chicken are dealing with this. I don't think I can offer much help. Here is some info on mereks http://www.avianweb.com/mareksdisease.html If you do an internet search there are a lot of sites with details about symptoms, and some may have pictures you can refer to. I know that mereks can cause full to partial paralysis in legs and wings, crooked neck, lesions at the feather follicles, and other symptoms. It sounds possible that it fits your birds description, but I can't say for sure. I don't have experience with it. Hopefully some other people will help you more. Perhaps you can take some pictures of her to show people on here here swollen area near her beak, and her legs to illustrate what's going on?

Quote:
Well after reading that I noticed her 'good' leg is stuck forward and her bad leg is stuck back so I'm quickly loosing hope, I've taken a picture of we neck but I'm letting her rest and really don't want to bother her by taking a picture of her legs, she has issues moving at all rigt now and panics and starts flailing when disturbed. My computer is moving at a snails pace so it may be a while yet before I can upload the picture.

My computer is a price of crap and won't load to let me upload the picture so hopefully I'll have a good quality video up tomorrow.

Last edited:
If her legs are positioned like that then she very likely does have mereks.....so sorry. Make sure she has no contact with any other chickens. No shared air space as mereks can be spread via their dust and dander in the air. Never handle your other chickens after touching her without first washing up really good. I hate that it always seems to be the favorite chicken that gets sick.....I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I don't think there is any viable treatment for mereks......

Oh it's ok, she's A house chicken from here to he end, which sadly is going to be soon, I'm going to give her a few more days but I think I'm going to euthanize her, her quality of life is just declining at a huge pace, but I'm going to be selfish and say my goodbyes.

sad.png

How old is she?

I am so sorry! At least she was loved and kept comfortable and safe by you during her life! God bless you for your kindness!
You did well! Just some things are out of our control and all we can do is offer our best effort of compassion. Sounds like you did that!

Quote:
Yeah, i did my best so keep her as happy and healthy as a normal chicken, evene on her last day with us i held her in my lap as i did when she was healthy, she only felt truly comfortable and safe when she was in my lap. And...as sad and horrible as death is, i find a certain relief in knowing her misery is over.

Thank all of you guys for your help and compassion in this hard time, and God bless.

Back
Top Bottom