It's so disgusting! Help please!

Lost Bird

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
North Texas
We have had a lot of rain this year. A LOT. We live in North Texas, so it's been something of a surprise.

I've been careful about keeping the coop as clean and dry as possible. The land under the coop is a bit elevated, so didn't think it could be a problem. Just went out and turned the land and OMG! It stinks to high heaven. Like a swamp. Can't be good.

What can I do to help squash the smell and the bacteria causing it?

No wonder the 4-month-old chicks are doing everything they can to get out of the under-coop area. Sheesh.

Wet poop stinks...no two ways about it.

What do you mean 'turned the land'?

Make sure any water is draining away instead of standing puddles......
.....add lots of 'brown' organic matter of various sizes and materials:
Wood chips, small sticks, dry leaves, dry grasses, etc.... that will help decompose the poops and absorbs the odors.

Wet poop stinks...no two ways about it.

What do you mean 'turned the land'?

Make sure any water is draining away instead of standing puddles......
.....add lots of 'brown' organic matter of various sizes and materials:
Wood chips, small sticks, dry leaves, dry grasses, etc.... that will help decompose the poops and absorbs the odors.

X 2 - also, how many birds are you housing in what size of an area? The more space per bird the better with regards to controlling odor, etc.

We have had a lot of rain this year. A LOT. We live in North Texas, so it's been something of a surprise.

I've been careful about keeping the coop as clean and dry as possible. The land under the coop is a bit elevated, so didn't think it could be a problem. Just went out and turned the land and OMG! It stinks to high heaven. Like a swamp. Can't be good.

What can I do to help squash the smell and the bacteria causing it?

No wonder the 4-month-old chicks are doing everything they can to get out of the under-coop area. Sheesh.
Good morning Lost Bird,

Sorry to hear about your problem. How ventilated in your coop? I use fresh cut cedar limbs to keep my coop fresh. I've read a few articles regarding cedar causing respiratory health issues in poultry, I've never had a problem. That being said, I have a very large coop, open on both ends, with an interior nesting/brooding room. So my coop is well ventilated. The chickens love perching, climbing and hiding in the branches. I also, as suggested by another user, use all tree litter and grass clipping. It provides my chickens with busy work, pecking and composting when not free ranging. Bedding sand in another option, it can be costly, but it absorbs moisture and helps with odor.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Perhaps a photo (or two) of your setup would be helpful as then we can see as well as read your description, OP, and better understand not only where the problem is but also be better able to advise as to potential fixes/changes.

Back
Top Bottom