1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Its soon, but I need to plan, Should I get another?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive posted that my rat Willow died today.
    Im worried about my remaining female, I got her in November of '07, so she is a good two years and a bit.
    She is still re-cooperating from being sick with Mycroplasma? Im not sure exactly what it was, I mean I know what it is I just cant ever remember the name.

Should I get her another friend, seeing as I can only play with her on weekdays for around four hours?
    I dont want her to get lonely, since she has always had a friend, but im not sure what exactly to do. Advice?

2. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Quote:Sorry to hear about your Willow. Rats make the best pets. You want to be really careful if you decide to get another friend for your rat. They might fight and it could get ugly. If you do choose to get another one be sure to ask the pet store if things don't work out if you can return it. I know some pet stores will. Good Luck!!!

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I had two sister rats that I got from a friend when I was younger. Somehow my germaphobe/neatfreak mom let me keep them! [​IMG] One of my sweet girls died after only about a year [​IMG] she got sick somehow. Well, my other baby Jessie was secluded as soon as Star showed signs of being sick and Jess never showed sickness. She lived a few months, but was never the same. She stopped playing as much and just sat there when I held her instead of running from shoulder to shoulder at least. I swear she died of loneliness! Wow, now I'm getting all misty remembering my first babies... I miss 'em. [​IMG] Anyway, I suggest you get another female for her if she was raised with a friend.

4. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    If rats aren't raised together they can be very antagonistic to other rats.I'm just skeptical that they would get along.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.I love rats.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Yay rats! I don't have any now but I am always tempted when I see them in the petstore. My last rat Snitch(get it?) died a few years ago at 3yrs 1 month pretty old for a rat! I had the same thing happen to me and I did get a new rat. There were a few scuffles but they did eventually get along but they never were as close as the two that were raised together> Godd luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by