It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
I only make soup when it's cold, like last week. My go to is what I just call....soup!
In reality, it's probably a beef vegetable soup.

Ingredients:
1 large round steak: can substitute with the prepackaged stew meat
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow or white onion diced
2 or 3 peeled potatoes, diced
1 small pakage of frozen okra
1 small can whole corn
1 reg. size can of cut green beans
3 or 4 carrots sliced thin
3 or 4 stalks of celery diced
1 reg. size can of stewed tomatoes, either whole or diced
2 or 3 bay leafs
2 to 3 table spoons of chilli powder
salt and pepper to taste

I make this in a 1 1/2 gallon pressure cooker pot.
Start by trimming the fat from the steak, this I put in the pot on high heat and render the fat....it's really the secret to a great soup!
After that, I cut the steak into bite size squares or chunks. Brown the meat, along with the onion and garlic.
When all browned and garlic and onions sautéed, add 1/2 gallon of water and bring to a boil. Add celery, carrots, potatoes and let cook until they are soft. Might have to add more water during this time. Add green beans, corn, tomatoes, okra and bay leaf. Top off the pot with water and bring to a boil again. Add the chilli powder to taste and let cook on low to medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes....the longer it cooks the better it will taste, as all the ingredients meld together. :drool

Louisiana Gumbo(Soup)

Ingredients-
——1 cup flour
—-I cup vegetable oil
—2 cups water
2 cups chicken or seafood stock
—1large onion
—1pound your favorite smoked sausage
—1 pound of chicken or shrimp
—1bell pepper
—salt and pepper(whatever seasonings you like)

DIRECTIONS:
—make sure all your meat and veggies are chopped already
—good idea to cook sausage first in a seperate skillet before starting roux( save for later)
—mix oil and flour in large pot (roux)
—cook over medium heat
—once it starts getting hot you must continuously stir it. Burns easily.
—keep stirring over medium heat until a dark peanut butter color
— the darker the better
—when you reach the right color usually after about an hour and 1/2, throw in onions
—cook onions about 10 minutes stirring often
—throw in bell peppers and a big scoop of minced garlic
—Stir often and cook for another 10 minutes
—add sausage and chopped chicken breast or shrimp
—cook another 8-10 minutes
—add water and stock to pot slowly
(I put a little bit ,about 1 cup at a time ,stirring well between each cup)make sure to scrape the brown bits off the bottom ,that’s your flavor.
—bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low
-continue cooking for about an hour.
-cook some rice and enjoy.
The perfect bowl of gumbo is a little scoop of rice with lots of juice and meat. Try crushing your favorite cracker on top for a little extra texture and flavor.
.—if you are a fan of gumbo file this is when you would add that. Sprinkle on top of your delicious bowl of gumbo.
—-ENJOY!!!!!

Louisiana Gumbo(Soup)

Ingredients-
——1 cup flour
—-I cup vegetable oil
—2 cups water
2 cups chicken or seafood stock
—1large onion
—1pound your favorite smoked sausage
—1 pound of chicken or shrimp
—1bell pepper
—salt and pepper(whatever seasonings you like)

DIRECTIONS:
—make sure all your meat and veggies are chopped already
—good idea to cook sausage first in a seperate skillet before starting roux( save for later)
—mix oil and flour in large pot (roux)
—cook over medium heat
—once it starts getting hot you must continuously stir it. Burns easily.
—keep stirring over medium heat until a dark peanut butter color
— the darker the better
—when you reach the right color usually after about an hour and 1/2, throw in onions
—cook onions about 10 minutes stirring often
—throw in bell peppers and a big scoop of minced garlic
—Stir often and cook for another 10 minutes
—add sausage and chopped chicken breast or shrimp
—cook another 8-10 minutes
—add water and stock to pot slowly
(I put a little bit ,about 1 cup at a time ,stirring well between each cup)make sure to scrape the brown bits off the bottom ,that’s your flavor.
—bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low
-continue cooking for about an hour.
-cook some rice and enjoy.
The perfect bowl of gumbo is a little scoop of rice with lots of juice and meat. Try crushing your favorite cracker on top for a little extra texture and flavor.
.—if you are a fan of gumbo file this is when you would add that. Sprinkle on top of your delicious bowl of gumbo.
—-ENJOY!!!!!
An hour and a half for the roux??? I've never had to stir it that long to get the dark chocolate color. You must be using a lower heat than I am. Or maybe it's because I use butter not oil? Anyway, for me it's a half hour, 40 min tops.

This looks like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'll definitely give it a try.

Pretty proud of myself made a angel food cake first time
20230416_153633.jpg

An hour and a half for the roux??? I've never had to stir it that long to get the dark chocolate color. You must be using a lower heat than I am. Or maybe it's because I use butter not oil? Anyway, for me it's a half hour, 40 min tops.

This looks like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'll definitely give it a try.
It’s cause of butter. I would never use butter for roux for gumbo. That’s how I do my I white sausage gravy though is with butter

Back
Top Bottom