It's that time again

Northern Flights

Songster
May 6, 2018
Cariboo Country BC
Time to plan for winter. At least those of us expecting -40 -- or lower?

As a first contribution to a lengthening (?) thread, I'd like to suggest lots and lots of hay. Any hay is fine, as it at least makes for good insulation in a pinch. It's also terrific to spread on ice/snow to protect tender tootsies and stop you from skating when you least expect it. It reduces albedo, contributing to melting. Just be careful it doesn't become insulation...

Much more to follow as we "chain up".

Last edited:
This will be my second winter (in Massachusetts Cape Cod area) with chickens. Last year we didnt have a roof on the run, this year we do.. We just let the girls run free in the yard, for those that would leave the coop. They all survived the snow covered ground and only tiny spots of frost bite on a few combs (which all healed on their own). But we had a mild winter. Coop is not heated or insulated (8×10 plastic shed). I have transitioned to hey from wood chips, but hey seemed harder to clear out of the coop, and seemed to hold moisture.
Looking forward to hard winter advise. As I think we are going to have one this season
IMG_20190904_181133_858.jpg
20190901_091624.jpg

Last edited:
This is our first year with a larger coop. We had two different smaller pre fab. Coops two different winters. We often have temps drop below 0 with wind chills in e negative-20 or sometimes a little lower. Ours chickens did fine. My plan is to put a fish tank heater (on lowest temp) in their water to help it from freezing. Other than that deep litter on floor.

I did have one hen who hated walking in the snow she would refuse to move if she got into an area while free ranging that snow surrounded her. Of course my son spoiled her and picked her up to move her to more suitable ground. Lol

I did have one hen who hated walking in the snow she would refuse to move if she got into an area while free ranging that snow surrounded her. Of course my son spoiled her and picked her up to move her to more suitable ground. Lol
I got a dog like that. I'd shovel him a path to the bushes, after that he'd go under the bushes even after the melt. If I'd could figure out how to teach all dogs that, I'd be a millionaire.

Back
Top Bottom