It's the coolest thing!!!

newchickowner

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Texas
As some of you know, I'm new at raising chickens, aquiring them from a broke neighbor that couldn't take care of them, but now I have 16 chickens, 1 Rooster and 7 happy, healthy chicks and have asked some questions from ya'll and I am learning a lot and ejoying every minute of it.

The chickens aren't very friendly but have quickly become used to me and my family running around in the yard. They have come to trust that we aren't going to hurt them and in fact have taken a likeing to me cause I spoil them by giving them treats all the time. (Learning of course what is good for treats by reading other forums) So now when I come outside they all come arunnin' to see what I may have brought with me that may be tasty!
It always makes me giggle to watch them running across the acreage flapping their wings to be the first at my feet.

Anyway, for the last week and a half I regularly go out to check on the babies, and check for any eggs in the other coop. There's been this one hen that's been very broody since the babies were hatched and I litterally have to push her off her laying spot to grab an egg or two. She pecked me at first, but then that just went to lightly cussing me in her low chicken "growl" that she does. Then today, I was standing outside the baby coop just watching the babies learn how to scratch the ground, when I noticed the broody hen at my feet. I didn't want to move thinking I'd scare her away (They aren't friendly enough to pet) but just then she jumped up on the silver garbage can I keep their feed in and was cooing to me. "oh, do you wanna scratch?" I asked her as I dared to reach out to her and started scratching her neck behind her head. She seemed to love it and I was elated!!!! I told my BF and he was happy for me. (he's secretly enjoying this too, though he doens't admit it much, but I can tell, you know how guys try to act tuff but are all warm and fuzzy inside ; ) especially when they see a cute little baby chick in your hand.)

I just wanted to tell my story and say thank to all of you who have given me advise. I'm really starting to love having chickens!

What a wonderful breakthrough with her! Patience and kindness really pays off in the end. Your BF being happy for you is a very good sign. He might be a keeper.
wink.png

thanks, I know he is, we've been best friends for 17 years. We've been in a romantic relationship for a little over a year. He never asked me out as kids, said he was scared of me. But now he took me and the three kids I'm raising. (They are my sister's by birth, but I'm adopting them - long story) He's always been there for me, now more than ever, and he's the sweetest!!! BTW I always had a crush on him, but was raised "old school" so I never asked him either! So we feel it was meant to be, a long time coming!

Hey that's wonderful. It is a great feeling when you earn their trust. I like picking up the girls and sometimes after they go on the roost, I will pick them up and talk to them. It also gives me the chance to make sure everyone ate a good supper by feeling their crops.

pop.gif
then the brooder let you pet her
ep.gif
wow what a great little family you have
love.gif

Welcome, we will expect updates, please.
gig.gif

Mine will eat out of my hand, and all but one will not let me touch them so I hope mine come around like your brooder hen. Such a neat story. Thank you so much for sharing.

you're welcome, I'm glad I found this forum, ya'll are so friendly!!! I'll go out today and try to take pics of us all.

Back
Top Bottom