It's time...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vortec, Apr 17, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I am about to cull my first cornish rock, or chicken in general. I must admit I am doing quite well, as I have just got back from purchasing charcoal, bbq sause, and a camp axe, from the store. Still, I have never done this before so the nerves are there. It has to be done, so it must be done, and I am going to follow through with it and carry in out to completion. I am not chicken, lol. Anyway, any last second tips or input on my situation will be appreciated and I will update you tomorrow

vortec

2. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I wish you luck, here is a website that explaines the process and has some pictures for reference. Search for Country Living in a Cariboo Valley looks interesting.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Read the "stickys", the messages permanently stuck at the top of this part of the forum, there's great information on how to do the job.

I wish you great success. After learning how to butcher chickens I felt like the Tom Hanks character in the movie Cast Away after he built his first bonfire started by hand. Remember how he danced around & boasted "I...made...FIRE!!!" I didn't exactly dance around, but I wanted to tell the world "I...made...FOOD!!! Me! I made meat to eat!!!"

Sounds like you've got all your cooking supplies, now assemble all your butchering supplies. I keep my birds in a wire cage off the ground for 12-18 hours before butchering to give their crops & intestines time to clear, maybe you'll want to do that too.

I wish you great success, please let us know how everything turns out!

4. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Quote:Me too! I called everyone who loves me, like "guess what I just did!"

Bask in your proud moment.
    I'm wondering if you plan on cooking right after killing or brining first...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by