its WALNUT time!!

rehric00

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
How many of you are into shucking walnuts?

I just gathered up a few... we have three trees in our yard and a couple more in the lot next door. My neighbor has tons, but were not on speaking terms at this point.

There are still tons on the trees and I'm hoping I can gather a few here and there and shuck them as I gather them. Maybe I wont have to spend an entire day doing it, like I did last year.

I need advice on how to dry them out and keep them from the squirrels, last year, I had them on ventilated racks but they molded after a rain. When I laid them out in the sun for too long, the darn squirrels got them
barnie.gif

We put them in the basement to cure on hardware cloth, but our house is really really dry most of the time. Would your basement or garage work? You'd almost have to put them in a cage if you try to dry them where the squirrels can get to them. To husk them, if you don't want to do the drive over them with the car thing, I like a thick board with a hole in it and just hammer them through. W\e shell and freeze them to store them after curing.
Good link about curing them. Have always wanted to try the cement mixer idea.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h404blkwal.html

We put them in the basement to cure on hardware cloth, but our house is really really dry most of the time. Would your basement or garage work? You'd almost have to put them in a cage if you try to dry them where the squirrels can get to them. To husk them, if you don't want to do the drive over them with the car thing, I like a thick board with a hole in it and just hammer them through. W\e shell and freeze them to store them after curing.
We drive over ours :) Nothing fancy to stain here, LOL. I have some old pepsi bottle crates that have lots of ventilation and are stackable but they were a pain last year. Im going to modify some things this year. Cannot wait to get started on them :)

I put mine in a pile that we run over to get behind the house--I have just thrown mine in a bucket and keep them in the basement. I have some that I have had for over 3 years that are still good in the shell.--going to pick up new ones this year though to have. Bumper crop year!!!!

Thanks for this link!
We have two walnut trees in our yard, and most years we just let the squirrels have them. When we first moved here I tried driving over the walnuts but it didn't go well.
Now though, with the info you shared, we will use our cement mixer next year to hull the nuts. Such a time saver! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom