iv bread a pekin bantam with fingers like a dinosaur!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jmar8124, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jmar8124

jmar8124 New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    prestatyn north wales
    Hey guys I'm new to this site so I'm just seeking answers really and has anyone else seen this before iv googled it but I can not see anything other than a mad scientist trying to developed a dinosaur from a chicken embryo! Its called the chickenosaure project :/ anyway I'll tell you what I'm talking about now, I live in north Wales and keep a few pekin bantams and a few other breeds of bantam, I also have a few cockerels (gold partridge pekin and a lavender) I decided to let one of my broody hens sit some eggs about 3 years back and as expected the little ones hatched about 21 day later I think 6 out of 8 eggs and we sold 6 keeping one hen and one cockerel I was fond of the the little monsters they followed me everywhere I went:) now a year later they had their first moult of the year but the cockerel had a particularly rapid loss of feathers making him look bald, I was sat in the garden in winter and I noticed on one of the winds that had gone bald completely a long set of fingers at the front of the end of the wing so I caught button (my cockerel pekin) to examine this strange set of fingers, then I noticed he had them on both sides, they were about 3.5cm long and the smallest was about 1cm they had sharp nails on each one and looked the same as his feet meaning the same scales as you may see on your chooks legs, he didn't seem to have any function on them norr did he use them but they were very long and prominent were prehistoric looking he also hung his wings in a strange way almost dragging on the floor at first we just thought we was a bit disabled leading to part of the reason why we kept him in the first place. Sadly this year he passed away due to a fox breaking in to the chicken pen and chewing through the netting killing everything except for my oldest cockerel who is the father of button. We never really made a thing about it because we didn't think it was that much of a deal but looking it up now it seems strange that no one has a record of something like this before.

Hope you can help me...I'm surely not the only one.

Kindest regards

Joe marshall

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sure I've read about a similar condition with a rooster or hen and the poster even had photos up. I can't recall where or when on BYC but, know I saw it. There were a lot of comments.

You would do better starting a separate thread regarding this - not many people visit the new members threads. I wish you had photos, it might have jogged my memory.

3. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  6. jmar8124

jmar8124 New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    prestatyn north wales
    Thanks everyone that's a great help! I didn't expect a response so fast :p thank you again.
    I wish I took some pictures to show you all but I never got round to it and the few I did take were on a phone that's was sadly stolen :( I'll have a good read of that article above. :)

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

How interesting!! Yes, too bad you have no pics. :)

But it is great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Vestigial wing hooks in my experience are relatively common in many breeds/strains. A picture of the size on your birds would have been interesting.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by