I've Been Bamboozled !

So, stop feeding them, make them just forage for their own food. Besides for the yelling I am sure id get from them, it might work. Or I get skinny hens and powdered eggs.... Hmmm..

Aaron

Over here you can pour boiling water on ants nests and it kills them. Would that be a possibility?

Now thats an idea to try, or build a fire on them, and if it dont kill the ants, well, ya got a fire, ya got chicken.... hmm....

Aaron
I've done that when I didn't want to add poisons to a planter bed. You can also run the hose on them and they'll think they're in a flood zone and move.
But this looks to be much more rewarding.

Ive seen that video before and it amazes me that the moisture in the soil, when the 1200 degree aluminum hits it, don't flash and it all blows up in your face.

Right now the chickens are on my bad list. the little bastards discovered that they can hop up into the raised bed gardens and.... dig....... I might cast them in aluminum at this point... Chased them out once, they went right back in a few minutes later, so they get to stay in the cage for a few days now, no free range until I get some better fencing on it. Grrr. Im sure they got most the worms I had in the soil too for the plants :(

Aaron

Last year three strands of hot wire didn't keep my chickens out of the veggie garden. what worked was this cheap deer netting from Home Depot, attached to fence stakes. It was a pain too, but helped with the chickens. The ground hogs still got under it just fine though.
This year, who knows?!
Mary

I've done that when I didn't want to add poisons to a planter bed. You can also run the hose on them and they'll think they're in a flood zone and move.
But this looks to be much more rewarding.
Yes but legit fire ants will build fire ant rafts and could multiply into more than a single colony they may move but you might not find their next nest or 5 until you sit on or stand in one by accident.

Last edited:
Many many years ago, I was taking leave and visiting my parents in Cape Coral Florida. I was helping my dad one morning and opened the garage door. You know how garage doors have like those, I guess you could call them ledges that run across. them? Well unknown to me, there was a snake on the ledge thing. As the door opened, this SOB slithered off and right down the back of my T shirt.

You think Hulk Hogan and those WWF sissies are impressive ripping their shirts off? Oh I can guaranTEE you I had them beat by any stopwatch in the world!! It's not so much that I am afraid of snakes but not knowing what TYPE of snake it was... THAT was the fear factor. In my tiny little hillbilly mind, I am picturing this 40 foot rattle snake, copper head, water moccasin, coral snake, Cape Coral Serpent of Death... snake, etc etc down my shirt heading for other unspeakable regions to do the unthinkable!! Me running down the driveway screaming and ripping my shirt off while doing the heebie jeebie dance. Thank god there were no camera's around to capture THAT magic moment....

Aaron
Had a similar encounter in the shed once. Barefoot.... And we have country rats here. Just the bodies of those suckers are longer than my boots. I didnt even react other than trying very hard not to pass out in the moment and then letting loose some rather creative phrases that all ended with the word no🙃
I heard that. Was unloading some square bales of hay and had a snake drape across my arm nearly killed myself trying to get it off me and away from it. I’d also be willing to bet I set a Guennis world record for stripping naked when I unintentionally sat in a fire ant mound. I’m sure the passerby’s got a good laugh seeing me running screaming flailing about while shucking clothes every which way.
Happens several times a year in garden around here. Sooo glad we’re a ways off the road. What takes the cake is walking into a spider web full of babies down by the coop once felt like I was in a horror movie and of course we had guests that day :gig

I heard that. Was unloading some square bales of hay and had a snake drape across my arm nearly killed myself trying to get it off me and away from it. I’d also be willing to bet I set a Guennis world record for stripping naked when I unintentionally sat in a fire ant mound. I’m sure the passerby’s got a good laugh seeing me running screaming flailing about while shucking clothes every which way.
The ants must have been laughing their pants off!!
I would have been!
But yeh, the snake would have freaked me out even though I've been to Au a good many times.

How big are fire ants?
Like inch?

My dad had a very effective method of dealing with "red ants". A small (or large) amount of gasoline poured onto the mound will kill the hoard in minutes. It is not necessary (but deeply satisfying) to ignite the mound. ( see avatar :lol:)
Of course I'm sure this method would give the enviros and nannys a fit of apoplexy but that was long ago and the statute of limitations has passed.

Back
Top Bottom