1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've been trying to resist... but I just can't.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PropsToMyPeeps, Apr 8, 2011.

1. PropsToMyPeeps

PropsToMyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    I know it's still early, but I've never been a very patient person. I've been lingering on this page trying not to post this, but I just couldn't stop myself. We've held off on naming them, just so we don't have an identity crisis. Anyone want to make some guesses?
    I got my chicks for a local girl who hatched them from her own chickens. I got them Straight Run, but of course am hoping for girls.

Easter Egger:
    about 3'ish weeks old
    [​IMG]

Buff Orpington (because of the lack of tail & slower wing feathering I'm thinking a boy):
    about 2'ish weeks old
    [​IMG]

A leg shot of BO (I just love this picture of them. They are all looking down on the little Silkie.)
    [​IMG]

Black Astralorp
    about 2'ish weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for pecking around!

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    The buff orpington isn't a buff orpington, it looks like a delaware, and the black australorp is something else too not really sure on genders though.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I'm going with pullet on the EE because most EEs with that coloring that I have had are pullets.
    Yeah, that is no way a pure Buff Orp. And my orps, though not buff, I find impossible to sex until they crow, so I have no guess.
    Is the BA a mix? Feathers are not coming in pure black. i will take a wild guess at pullet though because of the tail going downwards.

4. PropsToMyPeeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm so glad I posted this now; especially since I have now have no idea what I have! Chicks really are like a box of chocolates...

5. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think any of them are what you think they are. You may need to wait until they feather out completely to discover the breeds.

6. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Not sure of breed on the 1st, but the white one isn't a buff orp or a Delaware, and the last one is not a BA. BAs won't have the brown and looks completely different as chicks. I would keep an eye on that one, could be a roo.

7. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Not sure you have an EE... the legs are ver yellow, not olive/willow greenish in color, and she doesn't appear to have much for fuzzy cheeks the buff orpington is definately not a buff orpington but very cute. Sorry, to say again you were told wrong the black australorp chicks are blck and white (whitish yellow) I don't know what breed you actually have here, that said very nice looking healthy chicks... good luck, half of the fun sometimes is waiting to see what you get and how they will look!

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I have an Olive Egger and an EE and niether have puffy checks. I didn't remember what I had hatched out, but thought they were what they were. Just did, find out for sure until they started laying. Niether has green legs either, both yellow.

You're last one looks like a like what some of my Marans X Game chicks. They are BCM roo over Wheaten hens. Could be anything. I can see a comb from your two week old. I can see that comb here on my roos, but not the pullets at 2 weeks old.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  9. PropsToMyPeeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Looks like everything will be a bit of a surprise. Guess I'll just have to be patient and hope they all aren't roos. We would at least like some eggs. Thanks for helping this first time chicken mom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by