I've created a monster..

Gideyupgrl

Hatching
Apr 8, 2015
My baby duckling Katie is about 1 month old. She seems to be quite happy and thriving. Katie was however hatched by a chicken and raised with her 2 chick 'siblings' . My problem is this, my duck thinks she is a chicken. It has not been a problem until now. The mother hen and the chicks are roosting now. Katie just lays below them on the ground and just cries. I have 4 adult ducks and hoped they would take the Katie in...not so. They could care less about her and Katie could care less about them. She just wants mom. Do ducks wean there babies later than chickens? Will she get over her separation? Any suggestions will help. Thank you.

you could also think about getting a baby for her to be around now and put them in a brooder together for companionship. just a thought but it may help Katie out

Poor Katie. Is there any way you could make her a ramp so she could be on the same level? Or bring the roost bar down a bit so she could feel closer to Mom? Otherwise a duckie friend close to her same age might be another option.

Thanks you all:/ for the input. I tried a ramp and even guided her up it to show her where to go. She didn't seem to thrilled to be up high and yes she is rather clumsy compare to the agile chicks. Last night had to let her cry it out...she was in her familiar pen and had the adult ducks near for company. Eventually she did quiet (after a few hrs!) today she seems very sleepy, I am sure it was a long night for her. I am going to look for a companion of or near the same age. Maybe she will start to feel more like a duck then. :/

Thanks you all:/ for the input. I tried a ramp and even guided her up it to show her where to go. She didn't seem to thrilled to be up high and yes she is rather clumsy compare to the agile chicks. Last night had to let her cry it out...she was in her familiar pen and had the adult ducks near for company. Eventually she did quiet (after a few hrs!) today she seems very sleepy, I am sure it was a long night for her. I am going to look for a companion of or near the same age. Maybe she will start to feel more like a duck then.
hmm.png

Oh, poor baby! I think letting them cry it out is what my Mom used to call tough love! Hope you can find her a friend soon.

Ducks are social animals and need their flock. Really. So I would look for a duck companion or two, and in the meantime set up an unbreakable mirror for her. She might actually get depressed, and that weakens their immune system.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom