I've created monsters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Jun 29, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    A couple of weeks ago someone posted about his pig chickens stealing the turkey out of his turkey sandwich. I had a nearly identical experience!

On Sat. I took a little piece of the turkey meat from my sandwich & offered it to the chickens. They went NUTS. They're only about a month old so they can't do much harm, right? Well today (Sunday) I was again outside with my sandwich and the little turdlings were JUMPING for my sandwich.

Of course, I immediately gave them some. I'm a total sucker. At least they come running to me when I call them now. [​IMG]

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I know it is good to get them used to taking treats but I don't know if I would give em turkey. Me myself I use popcorn.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Won't be long until you find yourself going out the back door in disguise.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Nah you're created pets.
    I often wonder what would happen if I fell asleep for a long time in the run, where I sit on a hay bale and watch the pullets. I have a sneaking suspicion they'd find my bones!

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Ho boy.

Now picture that full-grown an weighing TONS. That's my situation.

For my hens it's hot dogs and English Muffins. Rita, my little Red X Link hen, JUMPS onto my arm to make me drop the plate. No more English Muffin. And when we eat or dinners/hot dogs outside, they either pretend to be caually drifting towards us, eating grass, then LUNGE for it, or hop up onto the table and beg. Yeah. Precious, but annoying.

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do to discourage them. Sure, you can not give them anything when they beg, but they'll melt your heart and you'll give it to them anyway.
    Quote:She is absolutely RIGHT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by