I've decided to hatch some chicks using a broody hen--how do I find a broody hen?

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
After adding 5 chicks to my flock by a broody Noir maran hen, I've decided to hatch some more chicks using a broody hen. It was so fun! But how do I find another broody hen? The first broody hen lost all of her rank when she finally left her chicks at 5 weeks and rejoined the flock--even the 6 black Australorp pullets chased her around! She shows no sign of wanting to sit on eggs any more!

How do I find another broody hen to sit on the eggs? I've read that some breeds like Old English Game are always broody--are there other breeds who will reliably sit on eggs?

I have Rhode Island Reds, Delaware, Noir Marans, and Easter Eggers, and so far, only the one Noir Maran wanted to sit on eggs.

Also, it is already mid July here in Tennessee--how late can I hatch chicks that will allow them to survive the winter cold? Occasionally the winter temperature can drop to 10 degrees or so for a few days. Adults can survive such temperatures, but can chicks?

Thank you all for any answers!

Yes Buff Orpingtons tend to go broody. I had 4 BO hens and I think they have all gone broody once so far this year earlier, in the spring. At the time I didn't want any broody hens. But now when I do want them they're not broody. I am trying to encourage one of them to go broody right now. Hopefully she does in the next day or so.

Broodiness in a hen is hormonal, if I am not mistaken. I don't think you can cause a hen to go broody. While some hens are broody more frequently, others have had the broodiness bread out of them as the eggs were more important.
I have Marans and BLRWs and both go broody fairly regularly.
You would be better off (IMHO) finding and buying a hen who is prone to broodiness, rather than try to encourage a hen to go broody. If her hormones aren't tell her to be broody, she won't become broody. Good Luck

Also, it is already mid July here in Tennessee--how late can I hatch chicks that will allow them to survive the winter cold? Occasionally the winter temperature can drop to 10 degrees or so for a few days. Adults can survive such temperatures, but can chicks?
The thing that you’re forgetting about a mother, she keeps the chicks warm. You can have chicks all winter long anywhere you have chickens. She will bring them outside, and let them play in the snow, and they will let her know when they are cold. There is nothing you need to do.

I have about 50-ish hens right now and, currently, have a black copper maran, a cream legbar, an EE and a Barred Rock that are broody. I try to dissuade them and have rotated them through our broody breaker but it's like my flock reached critical mass and now everyone wants to hatch eggs.

If you mark a clutch of eggs (to make it easy to pick out the extras your hens will invariably add) and let them sit in a nest, it may trigger a momma-in-waiting.

Back
Top Bottom