I've decided what the most annoying behavior of my chickens is

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Darklingstorm, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    The most annoying behavior of my chickens is they all come running to me as soon as I open the door (thats OK) but when I try to walk down the walkway and dang near everyone of them assume the "its a rooster and he wants fun" position right in front of me.
    [​IMG]
    I have to gently scoop everyone over with my foot (they won't move otherwise) to clear a path. I tried shooing them, but they just get confused and fidget, and still not move out of the way.
    Getting a day-old rooster chick (along with some other girls) in August and he can't grow fast enough for me.

2. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    LOL...mine pile at the door when I open the door to the run area.
    I swear they are trying to trip me [​IMG]

3. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I stepped on some bird toes yesterday and the hen let out a loud squawk about the time I started to trip over her. Lucky for me she squawked and lucky for her I was wearing foam bottomed sandals. At least they don't run from me [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, mine do that too. I can barely get in the gate without pushing the chickens out of the way, lest they get stepped on. My "pet peeve"is that they go into the coop just to scratch the shavings out the door looking for things on the floor. Then there are piles of shavings outside the coop door. I HATE that! [​IMG] I swear they do that just to irritate me! [​IMG]

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Quote:X2! [​IMG]

Quote:I stepped on Princess Eclair's toe the other day and I felt so bad. She squawked and ran away from me, but once I told her I was sorry and cradled her in my arms for awhile she forgave me, and my little bratty girl was clucking and cooing at me again in no time. [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Quote:Mine does it too. The number of toes I've stepped on.. Take a small treat with you and toss it. They will run after the treat and you will have a clear path. Sometimes I forget to take a treat and pick up a handful of small stones. It's works too, but beware the dirty looks!

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i think its sweet when they run up to you. my girls would run out of the coop door when i opened it but they would follow right behind me back in lol. its very cute they look at me as momma. i hope to see them soon. but ya the foot thing usually works just move them over. ive stepped on so many toes trying to get around them. and when its feeding time they go crazy lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by