I've done so much reading on worming that I need a clear answer-roundwoms

Sophie442

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
I have tried Rooster Booster wormer, tried ordering another wormer that has no withdrawal from Australia and they can't export, and DE and I'm at my wits end. I am trying to find a dosage and a for sure protocol for the hens. I have 14 Isa Browns. I have SEEN evidence in the poo of definite roundworms. I have read to Wazine in the water and then follow up with Valbazen. Then I read Valbazen then follow up with Valbazen. Here's my thoughts. I have NO idea how I'd individually worm 14 hens with a syringe and isn't it for 3 days? I am ok with just using Wazine, but my luck they have other worms and I'll have to do this ALL OVER AND THROW AWAY ALL THE EGGS.

If I do Wazine only is this the schedule-

Day 1-put in water for 1 day? Or should I do a couple of days to make sure they drink it?
Throw all eggs away.
Day 10-Treat again in water if using Wazine or can treat with bread or syringe with Valbazen
Throw away egg for 14 days after final treatment.

How many days do I treat for initial treatment? And for second dose?

Thanks,
Sonya

I am buying Wazine today. I have seen evidence of worms for over a month. (only see them in one pile each time) so I need to get on this.
Thanks in advance for you help! Vets and stores around here just DON'T HAVE ANSWERS FOR ME!

I have tried  Rooster Booster wormer, tried ordering another wormer that has no withdrawal from Australia and they can't export, and DE and I'm at my wits end.  I am trying to find a dosage and a for sure protocol for the hens. I have 14 Isa Browns.  I have SEEN evidence in the poo of definite roundworms.  I have read to Wazine in the water and then follow up with Valbazen.  Then I read Valbazen then follow up with Valbazen.  Here's my thoughts.  I have NO idea how I'd individually worm 14 hens with a syringe and isn't it for 3 days?  I am ok with just using Wazine, but my luck they have other worms and I'll have to do this ALL OVER AND THROW AWAY ALL THE EGGS.  

If I do Wazine only is this the schedule-

Day 1-put in water for 1 day?  Or should I do a couple of days to make sure they drink it?
          Throw all eggs away.
Day 10-Treat again in water if using Wazine or can treat with bread or syringe with Valbazen
          Throw away egg for 14 days after final treatment.  

How many days do I treat for initial treatment?  And for second dose?  

Thanks,
Sonya

I am buying Wazine today.  I have seen evidence of worms for over a month. (only see them in one pile each time)  so I need to get on this.  
Thanks in advance for you help!  Vets and stores around here just DON'T HAVE ANSWERS FOR ME!  

Wazine should get the majority of large roundworms. If you decide to use Wazine, use it now, then again in 10-14 days. Do not do Wazine then Valbazen.

-Kathy

Can you tell me why? Many on here say to follow up with Valbazen and to start with Wazine in case there's a worm overload. I have always been afraid that they have had gape worm by their open mouth behavior. These hens give me 14 eggs out of 14 hens and are so sweet, but I don't think they came without problems. I have been frustrated. I got them at 16 weeks from a local farm store. They came debeaked without their or my knowledge and they cut many back wayyyyyy to far. They appear very healthy and eat and drink and lay fine! This worm thing has me so frustrated. Anyway, I thought I'd follow with Valbzen to make sure I get ALL WORMS.

Can you tell me why?  Many on here say to follow up with Valbazen and to start with Wazine in case there's a worm overload.  I have always been afraid that they have had gape worm by their open mouth  behavior.  These hens give me 14 eggs out of 14 hens and are so sweet, but I don't think they came without problems. I have been frustrated. I got them at 16 weeks from a local farm store.  They came debeaked without their or my knowledge and they cut many back wayyyyyy to far.  They appear very healthy and eat and drink and lay fine!  This worm thing has me so frustrated.  Anyway, I thought I'd follow with Valbzen to make sure I get ALL WORMS.

So if you do that, what will happen if your birds also have cecal worms or capillary worms? The combo of Wazine then Valbazen will get the large roundworms, but the other worm eggs will hatch in 10-14 days, so you would have to follow up with Valbazen to get those. Pick one wormer and use it, do not mix them.

I'm not sure where/how/when this "Wazine/another wormer misinformation" started. Honestly, it would be best for you to consult with a vet, and I *seriously* doubt they would recommend using two wormers... I just doesn't mke sense.

FWIW, Valbazen @ 7.5 ml per gallon will treat large roundworms and cecal worms. Repeat in 10 days. The person that has verified this does his own fecal floats, so I trust that the info is correct.

So if you do that, what will happen if your birds also have cecal worms or capillary worms? The combo of Wazine then Valbazen will get the large roundworms, but the other worm eggs will hatch in 10-14 days, so you would have to follow up with Valbazen to get those. Pick one wormer and use it, do not mix them.

I'm not sure where/how/when this "Wazine/another wormer misinformation" started. Honestly, it would be best for you to consult with a vet, and I *seriously* doubt they would recommend using two wormers... I just doesn't mke sense.
Here's where I'm basing my information

My vet (who is the local farm vet) really had NO info for me. He was looking online like I was. I asked him to check the poo and he said I WAS THE FIRST TO EVER ASK THAT! He would have to send it out. I declined.

CityChicker, before you use Valbazen, you'll first want to get some Wazine from TSC and kill all the round worms in your chickens. Valbazen will kill ALL worms, but killing roundworms and others at the same time more than likely will overload your chickens' ability to dispose of them from their overloaded system. That could kill your chickens.
For more information on this, read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385238

WORMING
YOUR CHICKENS - FROM THE GOSPEL of JAMES (Chapter dawg53 1-2-3)
1. Wazine17 - two ounces in two gallons of water for one day - dump eggs for two weeks
...Ten days later:
2. Valbazen -one half cc/ml for standard size chickens, one quarter cc/ml for smaller chickens including silkies. You can use an oral syringe to squirt it down their throats individually or you can inject it into a small piece of bread and give each chicken a piece of bread....they gobble it up. - dump the eggs for two weeks
3. ...after a couple of days of using each of both wormers....give your chickens plain yogurt or buttermilk(probiotics), canned beef cat food (extra protein) with scrambled eggs all mixed in their feed and give it to them to build up their immune systems, do this about 3 days in a row. Then you'll have healthy, happy chickens lol.
The next time you worm,say in about 6 months or whenever you see fit...you can use the Valbazen first, no need to use the Wazine 17 unless you want to. Please PM anytime and I'll be happy to help you with worming. Jim.
Buy a quart of buttermilk, pour it into a large container with a gallon of milk. Let the five quarts sit at room temperature for 24 hours, stirring occasionally, and you'll have five quarts. Save a quart to use with another gallon of milk later.
BTW, buttermilk will keep for a very long time in the refrigerator.
Store in a glass container(s).

Edited by joebryant - 11/30/10 at 7:53am

FWIW, Valbazen @ 7.5 ml per gallon will treat large roundworms and cecal worms. Repeat in 10 days. The person that has verified this does his own fecal floats, so I trust that the info is correct.
Ok! What does FWIW mean? I am seriously wanting to use water treatment but I am reading many on here say NOT to. Thanks for the info!

Quote: FWIW means "for what it's worth". Pick one wormer and use it twice.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom