I've Got A Pig Herding Dog...

randomchick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Prescott, Ontario
So I have this little 8 month old mini dachshund which I have been training to be gentle with the chickens. She would at first keep trying to play with the chicken feathers by attacking the birds trying to rip them out. This was in the very begining, only a few months old. I have been daily dedicated to train her to walk into the coop with me, not touch anything, sit under each nest while I get the eggs, etc.
Well my plan back fires. I only wanted her to learn that chickens were friends, now she herds them when I start to shoo them into the coop at night. O.k. I though, at least she is staying 2-3 feet away from them and not hurting them, just herding them into the coop. Now so bad, right?
WRONG!
The electric fence surrounding the pigs flooded with the recent warm spell we've had. The creek came higher than the fence and froze a part under water. So we have had a daily berkshire boar walking around the playstructure, coming into the mud room for treats etc. Well my little 7.2 lb dog just gives it to the 250 lb boar. She barks and herds him right back into his pen. It takes her a good half hour but man she doesn't quit. I have never seen such a funny sight.
Anyone else have a pig herding dog that weighs less than your purse?

I think we need some photos of the little darlin' in action!
big_smile.png

LOL, we have several of these little packages of dynamite in our family so I can well believe it!!! Remember, they were bred for hunting badgers....
That has GOT to be a sight to see though!!
lau.gif

Alright so I just had another episode. I let the boar out of the pen to feed him, as I know he won't leave anywhere. The little dog was out going for a tinkle when he saw the pig out of the barn for even a step and he went crazy. I will have to calm the dog down a bit because he scared the pig into trying to climb the pen gate, getting stuck half way so I had to lift this huge boar off the wall. Funny how the dog just started to herd the boar, and now thinks it is her job to keep the pig inline. I will try to get a video of it, if I can find the extra hands.

Back
Top Bottom