I've got a roo... breeding question

Well, so far I've got oystershell calcium in the coop, in a dish, added it months ago, they may be eating some but not much. I have attempted to inspect for mites. There were none on the hen that died of heat stroke when it was 108 (and had been for a month or so), I have attempted to inspect the adult birds, Have dusted them with sevin dust before my bees died, so that would have been before October 4th. Have DE in the nest boxes and their favorite dust bath spots in the coop. In November I changed their feed to Game Bird Layer - Purina crumbles - to increase protein. I could always get good eggs by feeding about 6 oz of yogurt with eggshell crumbled in it - 3 or 4 or 5 eggs, none soft. I can no longer afford the yogurt they are just going to have to moult. I will re-check for mites tonight after they have roosted.

The hen with the least feathers is definitely picked on by the hen with the most feathers, both are production reds. If I can scrape together the cash I'm building a 2nd coop and run in the shade on my lot, under the giant elm tree for summer, and I could move some of the older birds out there, and end the picking on syndrome. I don't want to cull the aggressor, she is beautifully re-feathered out and lays one to two very good eggs a week.

But until my insurance company pays for my wrecked truck, I am inching along hoping to still have a place to live. They are about to get really motivated.

Gypsi

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I'm sure hoping!

Try some cat food. I run dry kitty kibble thriugh the blender for pullet crumble with good results. I've also given canned dog food to the girls that was left over because the vet recommended our very senior dog's brand of food be changed. None of them bark or meow - they cluck and "bawk"!

Pound for pound, cat food is more expensive than the slightly higher protein game bird layer feed I've got them on. Good idea, but my cats would be jealous and develop a taste for chicken!

The good news is my bald hen is re-feathering in nicely, new feathers 2 inches long yesterday, something like overnight! I think a can of tuna helped, and maybe the turn in the weather was a good prompt. I booted her out of the nest box again last night. I also microwaved some eggshells to give them a few days ago, they seem to like those better than oyster shell calcium.

Still not getting many eggs, but if the hens need a rest, before that maybe rooster grows up, then a rest they shall have. And my budget still needs rested from buying them yogurt. 3 weeks since the wreck, and the insurance company and trucking company responsible are still dodging. Did what I could. Back to work.

I didn't actually buy kitty or dog fod for the gals - just using up freebies and leftovers, and everybody just loves it! So for me it's a high pro alternative. Actually, friends give me the stuff if a pet goes to the "great beyond" or their vet recommends a change in diet. (It's maddenly slow for the feather regrowing process, and patience isn't one of my strong points. So I truly empathize with you.)

Back
Top Bottom