I've got egg eaters-HELP!!!

Leasmom,
Sorry that you are going through this. I had the same problem a few weeks ago with some newly laying pullets.(eating their own and all the other eggs in the coop) I managed to break them of egg eating by adding 5 gal buckets as nest boxes. I bought the orange ones from Home Depot. They were deep, dark, cheap, and I was able to get them in minutes. I also added golf balls, Orange PingPong balls, and then the next day I remembered I had some marble eggs, to their nests. I also gathered eggs as often as I could, which isn't often as I work 11-12 hours a day. I think speed may be essential so it doesn't become too much of a habit. With all due respect to everyone I am dubious of the mustard or cayenne plans. When I had caged indoor birds I was always under the impression that birds didn't have taste buds, and couldn't tastes these items. And I have heard that using these items around birdfeeders discourages squirrel and other raiders, but doesn't bother birds. Certainly worth a try, just maybe not the only one. good Luck!
Imp/Russ

Cayenne doesn't work with birds. It's actually a good anti-squirrel remedy. You put cayenne in bird seed to keep the squirrels from eating it. Squirrels hate cayenne but birds don't have the receptors to be able to taste it.

ETA: LOL, I should read previous replies before posting.

Last edited:
I have at least one egg eater, and I just found that out yesterday when I saw some shells and egg whites left in her nest. I think maybe she ate some other eggs too. This morning I saw one egg on the floor and fortunately it was not broken or eaten yet, but there was some suspicious liquid on the floor as well, it should be some unfinished yolk. I will try to provide more meat protein and oyster shells and if it still doesn't work, I will have to cull the egg eater. I don't like her anyway, she is extremely noisy, easily get scared, never let me or my husband handle her, and now, one more crime, eat my eggs! I think I have enough reasons to get rid of her if she doesn't change her behavior within a few days.

And for the meat protein, any suggestions? I have some fish left in my freezer, can I cook them and give them to the chickens as the meat protein? Sorry I have no help but giving more questions.

Fish is in a lot of feed formulas. Makes up as much as 15% of some feeds, I've read.

I've given tuna . . . you probably should rinse canned fish, however, to dilute the salt.

If I ever get to go fishing . . . I'm keepin' those fish!

Nope, the salmon is all mine
tongue.png
!

Steve

I'm giving one of my hens away who is like lovemychicks hen...and I'm hoping by removing her I can work on the ones thats left...I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom