I've got pips!! YAY!!

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
I have 7 broodies!
ep.gif
Two are sitting on eggs due now. The remaining 5 are sitting on eggs due next weekend.

Anyway.....I have 2 pips and both are chirping!!
celebrate.gif
I had one hen go broody and then #2 showed up the nest. Rather than starting a new batch, I split the eggs between them. 5 total made it to hatch day (others were not fertile or quiters). So far, there is 1 pip under each hen (how perfect is that!
big_smile.png
). One of the pips is one of my EEs eggs. She the sweetest bird ever, so I am excited to see how the offspring will be. I see yellow fuzz (wet, of course) and a yellow/tan beak in the eggs, so I am sure it is the Faverolle rooster's (the other rooster was a Jersey Giant (we got rid of him about the time the eggs were set, so his offspring are still possible).

YAY!!!
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

One hatched under the SF hen...it is an EE hen/Faverolle roo cross. The mom and dad both have great personalities, so hopefully this little one does too!
smile.png
Pip #2 got smashed by my JG hen.
sad.png
It was a little yellow one with clean legs...it hadn't fully zipped yet.

But...a 3rd egg is now pipped...under the SF hen thankfully! If it hatches, I will let the JG mom have it. Not sure she needs another pipped egg...I'll just slip her the fuzzy butt afterwards.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom