I've Heard About Guard Llamas and Geese, but What About Horses?

PS; One horse is one too many; they are herd animals, so two or three horses/ ponies must happen. If you haven't had extensive riding experience, go for six or twelve months of riding lessons first. They are NOT starter pets!!! If riding lessons are unaffordable, so is horse ownership! I'm being pretty blunt here, but it's the truth. Mary

Except for the spit. That isn't fun.

Neither of mine have ever spit at me or a family member, didn't even spit during the move to my place where they were obviously stressed out real bad... The previous owner said he was only spit at once, but he admitted that he was a fault in pushing it to that point...

Not saying some don't spit like crazy, but I firmly believe that if they are raised and cared for as pets and not pushed into stressful situations spitting at 'owners' will be minimal to non-existent...

On the other hand they do spit at each other ever so often, but that hardly bugs me... :D

I have personally seen my horses pick up stray dogs and literally throw them in the air 10' high and 40' away, then run over and smash them with their shoulders. They were protecting their herd of fellow mares and foals not chickens but horses can be great protectors.

PS;  One horse is one too many; they are herd animals, so two or three horses/ ponies must happen.  If you haven't had extensive riding experience, go for six or twelve months of riding lessons first.  They are NOT starter pets!!!  If riding lessons are unaffordable, so is horse ownership!  I'm being pretty blunt here, but it's the truth.  Mary

I completely agree; I've been riding for about ten years and I can confirm that beginners would not be able to easily keep one, let alone two or three.

MeepBeep- If they spit at each other than I do suppose it'd be okay. xD
AZChiknGoddess- They truly bring meaning to the song 'I Got The Power'!

We have a 4 yr old gelding AQH that will aggressively pursue any foreign animal in his pasture. Deer, coyotes, skunks, possums, raccoons, geese and stray dogs fear him. I don't think it's as much of a protection response as a territorial one. He will also shoo the chickens away from his water tank and hay. 2 years ago he actually trampled a skunk into a bloody stinky pulp in the pasture.

If you want a horse, get one, but don't expect it to chase away any predators other than coyotes and dogs.

I have my chickens at home in the backyard and my horse is boarded at a farm w/ a lot more acreage. I do not think my horse would do well w/ chickens. At a previous boarding facility, the cross street neighbors had guineas. Every morning the guineas would escape and head into our pasture. My horse would let them get fairly far into the field, then take off after them at full speed w/ her neck all snakey. It was like watching a bowling ball strike pins when she hit that flock of guineas. They went in every direction. I never saw her injure any, but it sure seemed like a game to both sides, w/ certainly the potential for injury. It was clear she was attempting to chase them out of the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom