I've inherited a Chicken now what?

Quote:
That's what I needed, and yes the will be free ranged at least 8 hours a day

You have that lovely coop/run area already framed out and roofed. Maybe consider walling in part of that to create your housing, and then add run space, unroofed. That would probably be your cheapest option to accomodate 20 birds. You didn't mention your area/region, because that does play a part in how much minimum housing space you can comfortably get by with...

Quote:
I live in Oakdale California, the summers are really hot up to 110*, winters aren't too bad we will see 28* maybe 3 or 4 times a season, I'm going to stick with a fully enclosed roost area and place
a small fan to mildly circulate the air in the summer.

Thank you for the help!

Quote:
That's what I needed, and yes the will be free ranged at least 8 hours a day

You have that lovely coop/run area already framed out and roofed. Maybe consider walling in part of that to create your housing, and then add run space, unroofed. That would probably be your cheapest option to accomodate 20 birds. You didn't mention your area/region, because that does play a part in how much minimum housing space you can comfortably get by with...

You completely read my mind, I'm going to do just that. My plan is to completely enclose the current run and add a 12'X12' run with a roof.
Is it alright to go with a dirt floor in the coop or should I put a sub-floor down?

Sorry, I all most forgot, I'm in Oakdale California. We have hot summers up to 110* and mild winters down to 28* 3-4 times during the season.

Kind regards,

Richard

Wow - with those temps you might consider leaving the far end open (wire), or at least framing in BIG screened (hardware clothed) windows most of the way around, since your birds will be battling heat. You might do a search on open air coops.
Personally, I wouldn't want a dirt floor unless you had a really nice wire skirt all the way around to prevent preds. from digging under. Plus things could get nasty (for you, not just the birds) after days of rain...soaking under. I prefer a solid floor. But if you're planning on using deep litter method, then you might want to post about that, inquiring (I don't know enough about that method).

A 12 X 12 run won't get it. Not if they are to stay pened up all day. At least twice that size with lotsa stuff for them to do. That is really a nice coop to start out with. Man what a start. And do I see it covered only with chicken wire?
ep.gif

Quote:
Yep that's correct only chicken wire, the previous owner never had a problem with predators, My neighbor has a pallet coop and has never lost a bird either. I'm gonna be changing things quite a bit to avoid problems down the road.
What's the ol' saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Thank you for your input, it's appreciated!

Regards,

Richard

welcome-byc.gif
Beautiful coop .

I started out with a 4x8 coop and put in 1 roo and 4 ladies
and they were happy. for 20 you will need triple of what you have.
(jmo)
cover over at least half of the chicken wire bottom with heavier wire
also you could hang a water mister on really warm days

Quote:
Critters can dig right under if it's dirt. You need a wooden floor, raised up off the ground, preferably sheathed in heavyduty hardware cloth to prevent critters from chewing in.

Back
Top Bottom