I've Never Seen This Before..

BirdsBeesTrees

Integrity.
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 10, 2019
Iowa
So I just finished hatching part of my shipped eggs. I had a pretty good hatch 8 Ayam Cemanis and 5 Blue Marans. My question is about one of the Ayam Cemanis that didn't hatch. I candled it when I noticed the tiniest pin prick on the egg without any progression. The air cell was completely filled with blood! I opened the egg, the chick was dead but had a mostly absorbed yolk sac but bright red blood gushed out of the air cell area. Why did this happen? Oh and I'll share a pic of my new friendly babies. :)
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG

I would guess the same, It likely pipped through a blood vessel. Remarkably, I had a chick that hatched successfully and is perfectly fine but when I took the shells out and investigated, the top air cell membrane was almost black with dried blood. I'm sorry your peep didn't make it but the other babies are adorable! :love:jumpy

Yes, that does sound like it pipped through the larger blood vessel, usually the chick is aligned incorrectly in the egg when this happens, so it's lined up to pip through the egg. It's unfortunate, but can happen with shipped eggs. Congratulations on the new babies, they are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom