1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've started a craze

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krcote, Jan 25, 2009.

1. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    My hatch date is Feb. 4th and I have new comers to the chicken world lined up waiting for chicks! I even have a friend who has a 1 week old newborn who was so excited to put MY DUE DATE on HER calendar today... and she isn't even in line for chicks [​IMG]

It's amazing what these bird-brains do to us AND our friends!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's funny! The worst one here is my 4 y/o son. He thinks every egg he finds should be put in the incubator! He even cries if one of 'his' eggs is cracked and fed to the dog, or put in a carton to be sold!

3. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Tee hee... I have some guitar students going bonkers over my pullets, who finally started laying. As part of the way I run my business I get to know some of the families pretty well. One is very close to being subverted into chicken-keeping.

It's amazing how they'll make time after a lesson to chill with the birds and/or the cats. All private teachers should have pets.

I've sent away for one of those weensy incubators that can prepare up to three eggs. My goal is to accustom the birds to heavy metal before they hatch.

Should I get Polish chickens so that they already have the heavy-metal hairdo, or should I go for the ZZ Top Easter Egger look?
    Maybe some Barred Plymouth Hard-Rock eggs?

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

Our chickens seem to love listening to my son's band. If the garage door is open while they're practicing, the chickies all run to the garage and just stand and stare at them; if the door is closed, they peck at it as if "hey, let us in."

My suggestion on what breed to hatch out - all of them, of course!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The rule of them is, if you have a fertile egg, try and hatch it. Not really.

But it sounded good.

6. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i bought my flock when they were 2 wks old they grew up listenin to oldies while me and my hubby built there coop in 90 plus degree weather and they looooove santana and beyonce very eclectic bunch

7. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I love hatching out eggs but then you are over run. I just weeded out my flock so I might get some more eggs to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by