I've waited a long time :D

Stelmyra

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Hi everyone :)

I just recently bought 8 chickens along with a coop and run, after waiting for more than 3 years. Much of that time was spent convincing my husband that they'd be good for us and wouldn't tear up the yard too much.

Anyway, he finally agreed and I quickly acquired my backyard chickens. I hope I get to keep them... basically I know I can have 10 hens in city limits but my problem is the HOA. I shot them an e-mail a year or so ago asking them if I can keep chickens and their response was basically "it's better not to ask, we'll turn a blind eye". So kind of like a go ahead without actually saying it.

Next up I talked to one of my neighbors. We have a big corner lot so I didn't anticipate the chickens would make so much noise as to cross the street or cross our entire yard to the other neighbors (uh, my chickens' egg songs echo in the cul de sac across the street). Anyway, that one neighbor was fine with it. Ahem. Next up, my entire neighborhood.

Unfortunately, across the street there is an old couple and the man is very opinionated. That's me being nice and doesn't paint an accurate picture so... Quite frankly he's a bigot and hates us and warns everyone who comes near our home that we're "terrorists" because we're Muslim :( but that's a different story. I'm just afraid he's going to complain about my chickens! And I'm afraid to approach his property to speak to him or offer some delicious eggs. Maybe I'll put eggs in his mailbox =P

Anyway, while moving the chickens and the coop from their former home to ours, one of the chickens leg got caught under the coop. We thought it was cut off or she lost a toe or I don't know what, but it looks like she just scraped the scales off her leg. And this is where I stop and go to the other part of the forum with my chicken leg questions and hope someone can help me figure it out! Please migrate there if you think you can help :)) and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! There will always be people that do not agree with what you are doing in life. So you push on in spite of what people think. That is great that the HOA is letting you keep them! Just keep hens, keep it clean and don't let the birds eat the neighbors prized flower beds, and all should be well. And definitely share your eggs with the neighbors! Maybe these cranky neighbors will come around eventually.

Oh, and sorry about your bird that got her leg hurt. I hope she makes a full recovery. If she just scraped off the scales, you can put some antibiotic ointment on it, and use some vet wrap on her leg. Not too tight, but tight enough to keep the crud out. A week or so in a wrap and it should harden over. Scales take a long time to regrow. So don't worry about the scales. Eventually they will come in.

Good luck on this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I'm sorry you have a cranky neighbor. Every neighborhood has at least one and it seems like their sole purpose in life is making everyone else miserable. Be friendly to the nice people and try to avoid the mean ones.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your nasty neighbor, hope they don't cause problems. Good luck with your hen, hope her leg is OK.

Welcome!

Hope your chicken recovers.

You cannot please everyone…if your closet neighbor is supportive, then be happy for that!

Thank you all for your kind welcome and helpful comments :) I'm glad to be here and I'm excited to learn from you all. This forum is such a great resource!

Back
Top Bottom