Ivermectin dosing

Attachments

• 20211128_112552.jpg
    20211128_112552.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 8
Perfect! What you have there is 1% ivermectin (10 mg/ml). It is not diluted or different than the stuff I use.

Your vet is recommending the minimum effective dose of 0.2 mg per kg.
If you want to use that at the rate your vet has recommended, give 0.01 ml per pound orally (sorry, I made a typo in my last post).

Perfect! What you have there is 1% ivermectin (10 mg/ml). It is not diluted or different than the stuff I use.

Your vet is recommending the minimum effective dose of 0.2 mg per kg.
If you want to use that at the rate your vet has recommended, give 0.01 ml per pound orally (sorry, I made a typo in my last post).
Ah, I see! Wonderful, I think that clears it up. Thank you so much, both to you and @Aunt Angus :D

How often can Ivermectin drops behind the neck be repeated? My bird sleeps indoors wih me but spends every morning mingling with wild birds who no doubt transfer new mites to him daily. How long will Ivermectin pour-on continue to kill new biting mites before it becomes ineffective in his bloodstream and retreatment is needed?

How often can Ivermectin drops behind the neck be repeated? My bird sleeps indoors wih me but spends every morning mingling with wild birds who no doubt transfer new mites to him daily. How long will Ivermectin pour-on continue to kill new biting mites before it becomes ineffective in his bloodstream and retreatment is needed?
This thread is years old, but I will try to answer your question. But start a new thread about dealing with the mites, not about ivermectin. I use ivermectin but only one dose when I am treating an active infestation and I remove the source of the mites, usually it means I have to switch the bedding location. You do not need to use ivermectin as a preventative for mites.

You dont want to rely on ivermectin to continually treat your "bird". Is it a hen you have? Im not sure if you are talking about a bird or chicken, and how does a chicken spend time with wild birds? I assume you just mean outdoors free ranging.

An adult hen will have mites on their feathers and bodies, it doesnt necessarily mean they are infected with mites. It would be better to not use ivermectin unless you see signs of an infestation. Signs include weight loss, lethargy, and change in demeaner. You can also visually inspect for clumps of red dots where the mites are attached to the skin and draining her blood. I can go out at night to my roost and shine a flashlight on my chickens, and see thousands of mites on my birds. It does not mean they are infested. They bathe every day and do not have any mites attached and drinking their blood.

If you want to remove the mites from the feathers, there are dust bathes and you can even remove the source of the mites. Hope this helps. If the ivermectin pour on is eliminating mites via the blood, it will not be effective at removing the mites that are not drinking the blood.

But to finally answer your question, it can be repeated after three days if you really need it in the blood. But better to inspect your bird and if you dont see clumps of red dots there probably is no need to continue giving ivermectin.

I treat mite infestations with a combination of ivermectin containing medicine and promethrin bathing. If a baby accidently sleeps where there are mites, usually on the ground, they usually get an outbreak and need treated, i have lost several before i learned about mites. But i never have to retreat them again. A big part of it is the outbreaks occur places they cant bathe, like around the beak, under the eyes, under the throat, on the sides of the legs, and under the wings. Those are the places to look for red clumps. But adults usually have learned to bathe and never need treatments in my flock.

This thread is years old, but I will try to answer your question. But start a new thread about dealing with the mites, not about ivermectin. I use ivermectin but only one dose when I am treating an active infestation and I remove the source of the mites, usually it means I have to switch the bedding location. You do not need to use ivermectin as a preventative for mites.

You dont want to rely on ivermectin to continually treat your "bird". Is it a hen you have? Im not sure if you are talking about a bird or chicken, and how does a chicken spend time with wild birds? I assume you just mean outdoors free ranging.

An adult hen will have mites on their feathers and bodies, it doesnt necessarily mean they are infected with mites. It would be better to not use ivermectin unless you see signs of an infestation. Signs include weight loss, lethargy, and change in demeaner. You can also visually inspect for clumps of red dots where the mites are attached to the skin and draining her blood. I can go out at night to my roost and shine a flashlight on my chickens, and see thousands of mites on my birds. It does not mean they are infested. They bathe every day and do not have any mites attached and drinking their blood.

If you want to remove the mites from the feathers, there are dust bathes and you can even remove the source of the mites. Hope this helps. If the ivermectin pour on is eliminating mites via the blood, it will not be effective at removing the mites that are not drinking the blood.

But to finally answer your question, it can be repeated after three days if you really need it in the blood. But better to inspect your bird and if you dont see clumps of red dots there probably is no need to continue giving ivermectin.

I treat mite infestations with a combination of ivermectin containing medicine and promethrin bathing. If a baby accidently sleeps where there are mites, usually on the ground, they usually get an outbreak and need treated, i have lost several before i learned about mites. But i never have to retreat them again. A big part of it is the outbreaks occur places they cant bathe, like around the beak, under the eyes, under the throat, on the sides of the legs, and under the wings. Those are the places to look for red clumps. But adults usually have learned to bathe and never need treatments in my flock.
Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful response, Banana01! I'm sorry, I failed to mention that my bird is a male pigeon. :) This is what I meant about him spending time outdoors with a wild, untreated flock. As pigeons love flying, mine has become accustomed to flying off with whom he considers his "wild flock", I suppose. Your answer has been so helpful, and I'm sure it was not an easy one to tackle, given my bird's unusual situation of being both an indoor and outdoor bird! I always assumed any mites that mounted the bird would also eventually feed from the bird's blood, as is their nature and objective, no? It's my understanding that they are host-dependent and need bird's blood to survive, so my logic dictated that they would all bite my bird at some point or another. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. Repeating Ivermectin in 3 days would be useful, but did you mean repeat *every* 3 days? Would that not be overdosing? I have been trying to figure out how long the mite-killing effects of Ivermectin truly stay in the birds' bloodstream so I can hopefully figure out how often treatment can be repeated in order to keep constant mite-killing effects going, without overdose or side effects, of course.

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful response, Banana01! I'm sorry, I failed to mention that my bird is a male pigeon. :) This is what I meant about him spending time outdoors with a wild, untreated flock. As pigeons love flying, mine has become accustomed to flying off with whom he considers his "wild flock", I suppose. Your answer has been so helpful, and I'm sure it was not an easy one to tackle, given my bird's unusual situation of being both an indoor and outdoor bird! I always assumed any mites that mounted the bird would also eventually feed from the bird's blood, as is their nature and objective, no? It's my understanding that they are host-dependent and need bird's blood to survive, so my logic dictated that they would all bite my bird at some point or another. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. Repeating Ivermectin in 3 days would be useful, but did you mean repeat *every* 3 days? Would that not be overdosing? I have been trying to figure out how long the mite-killing effects of Ivermectin truly stay in the birds' bloodstream so I can hopefully figure out how often treatment can be repeated in order to keep constant mite-killing effects going, without overdose or side effects, of course.

Are you talking about topical ivermectin, is it ivermectin cream?

But my advice is for chickens and flocks of chickens. Each ivermectin product has specific instructions for treatment, depending on what is being treated. It has side effects for repeated use that outweigh the benefits you are going for, such as it is hard on the liver when used continually. A small bird is likely to be even more susceptible to repeated side effects, most of which are for humans.

Unfortunately in your case, you are trying to use it to treat mites, when you arent even sure that the pigeon has mites. But I would assume that an adult pigeon is not a high risk of mites.

BYC has an active pigeon community, maybe start asking there?

Are you talking about topical ivermectin, is it ivermectin cream?

But my advice is for chickens and flocks of chickens. Each ivermectin product has specific instructions for treatment, depending on what is being treated. It has side effects for repeated use that outweigh the benefits you are going for, such as it is hard on the liver when used continually. A small bird is likely to be even more susceptible to repeated side effects, most of which are for humans.

Unfortunately in your case, you are trying to use it to treat mites, when you arent even sure that the pigeon has mites. But I would assume that an adult pigeon is not a high risk of mites.

BYC has an active pigeon community, maybe start asking there?
Such kind thanks, again, Banana! It's actually Ivermectin "Spot-on Treatment, which is the drops that are applied to the skin behind the neck and absorbed into the system through there. I would definitely not want to risk any side effects such as harming the liver, so I will follow the manufacturer's instructions and repeat dosage only once every 6 weeks. Will try to do regular baths in conjunction with this. If you have any bath products tried and tested for eliminating/lessening mites, please do share, as I have no experience with these.

Back
Top Bottom