Ivermectin pour-on directions please!!!

annmarie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
I bought Ivermectin Pour-on for cattle. This is the right stuff, correct?
Can someone please let me know how to do this. Is four drops on the nape of the neck right? How will I see that four drops have hit their skin? This isn't something I can just add to their water is it? I need to administer this in the next couple of hours (when the baby is napping!) so I'd really appreciate someone answering this ASAP. Thanks! (Oh and this is a follow up to Wazine treatment 14 days ago.)

Last edited:
here is what i was told to do-

It is Ivermectin liquid (NOT the horse wormer paste). It is the kind for cattle & swine and is off label for poultry. I use 4-5 drops for bantams and 7-8 drops for large fowl. Repeat in 10 days to catch any eggs that have hatched. I got about a 6-8 oz. bottle at TSC and it lasted a long time. Get a syringe with a big needle, too. Those little insulin needles are too fine to get anything out of the bottle.

Don't worry if you get a little more on them (a tablespoon is a bit much, tho). It is pretty safe, according to Dr. Karcher, the poultry guy at MSU. You can also give it orally, but skin seems to work and is a lot less trouble.

what i have done is get them at nite when they are getting ready to roost- easier that way​

From a fellow byc'er who is a vet in FL: 1/2 cc for LF and 1/4 cc for bantams at the base of the neck where they cannot reach around to it.
smile.png

Quote:
Ask your regular small animal vet (dog/cat) for a 10cc syringe. They are easy to read and should have the right measurements on them.

TSC had all sizes of syringe plungers and the sharps (sold separate) .... I got a 3cc one - figured I didn't need anything bigger than that. They were I think 29 cents each.

Easy to read lines are marked for each .1 cc - but they do wear off of the plunder quickly. I would say have a few on hand - especially since they cost practically nothing.

I think the general rule of thumb here is .25 cc per bantam and .5 cc for large birds. The dose for Ivomec brand is 1cc per 22lbs - I just broke it down for how much my girls weighed.

Last edited:
A 10cc syringe is way to big to measure 1/2 or 1/4 cc in. A 3 cc syringe would work perfectly. It is not so small that you can't handle it and not so big that you will get the wrong dose. If you are familiar with and/or use them a lot, the 1 cc is great, and if you can find a TB syringe it will have a larger needle than an insulin syringe which is even better. (Hope this helps
clap.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom