Ivermectin pour on- how much causes an OD?!

Rhyara

Chirping
Sep 22, 2022
Mn
We were giving our girls their second dose for treating lice, and the dropper had a malfunction or something... she was supposed to get 4 drops, but 3 came out quickly and it looked like she got 7 or 8 before I panicked and yanked her away from the dropper my husband was holding. He didn't see the extra drops. I'm hoping my eyes played a trick on me and she got what she was supposed to...

We'll be keeping a close eye on her behavior, she's always energetic and desperate for treats so a change should be easy to notice. Just praying she ends up okay...

Eta: we deep cleaned the coop and run, all their toys. We haven't seen any more lice, but the guide said to treat again after 14 days, so we did. She's the only one that got extra drops.

As long as she didn't ingest any or get any in her eye or mouth, she should be fine. In general, doses are 1 drop for tiny chickens, 3 drops for bantams, 4 for lightweight birds, 5 for large birds and 6 for heavy breeds, and the labels on some types of ivermectin are 1 drop per 500g of chicken weight, which would be like 7 drops for a leghorn (specifically for noromectin), I think it varies a lot depending on what source you're looking at and for what type of ivermectin. how much does she weigh?
Also, keep an eye out for:
  • Loss of coordination of the muscles, particularly in the extremities (ataxia)
  • Tremors
  • Vomiting (emesis)
  • Lethargy
  • Stupor
  • Coma
  • Death
If you're concerned, you might want to contact a vet for advice. What you've done so far is definitely the right course though!

If the ivermectin is 5 mg per ml the dosage is 0.05 ml per pound or 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight given on the back of the neck, and then repeat again in10-14 days. If overdosage is suspected the hen could be bathed in warm soapy water.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys, I was really panicking there for a bit.
We gave her a little wash.

I had called or emailed all the vets a good area from us that I could before getting my flock, and unfortunately none of them will treat chickens... I've done a bunch of research, and look at anything that pops up that I can learn from, but I always come back to you all to make sure I'm doing all I can for my girls đź’•

Back
Top Bottom