Ivermectin

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
I gave my girls Wazine 17% last weekend and will be following up with Ivermectin next weekend (2 wk spacing). I have read there are different ideas on what kind to get and how to administer it (i.e. through the skin, diluted on a piece of bread, etc). Can you tell me what the different thought processes are and help me decide what I should get?

Background...I have 4 RIR (about 17-18wks old). Although most poops are normal and all act happy and healthy, I saw one poop with roundworms in it and I saw it happen so it wasn't maggots or anything. Anyway, I'm kinda hoping that's why they are thin and this will take care of it. I did the Wazine for 24 hrs in the water as recommended.

Thanks for the help.

Bree

Anytime you can administer worm medicine orally instead of on the skin its better. Worms live in the digetive tract / intestinal tract. When you give it to them orally ,the medicine goes right to the source. When its absorbed by the skin it takes longer( it has to travel through blood stream before going to where its needed).

The good thing about the pour-on is that it will also get rid of any possible external parasites. Even if they don't have them now, I like knowing that I have the medicine on hand. And trust me, for me it would be much easier to just put something in their water (we have 52 chickens).

It really is up to what you want to do. You will get different answers and reasons from everyone on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom