Ivomec/Eprinex

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Granny Hoffman, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I have been finding round worms in the girl's poop for a couple of days. I was given a bottle of Ivomec/Eprinex and I want to try this and see if it will get rid of the worms. Could someone tell me what the dosage would be for standards and bantams. I have 2 different size syringes a 3ml and 1ml.

Thank you

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Which one is it, ivomec (and if ivomec, injectable or pour-on) or eprinex? The dose is not the same, and ivomec is not very effective on worms in chickens. Great for mites. If you want to try, the injectable ivomec dosage would be extremely tiny, under one-tenth of one ml, and should be done orally. Eprinex has not been tested on chickens and there is no recommended dose. I know it's used on this forum and I'm not telling you not to use it, but I am telling you that any dose would be a guess.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Ivomec has eprinex on the label. I am looking at the box. I used a few drops on mine but they were bantams. YOu can do a search on here for ivomec and find one that has directions that you like. There are many different view points on doctoring them so you kinda have to find someone you think makes sense.
    sharon

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  4. Granny Hoffman

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Quote:Did you use it for worms or mites and was it effective?

5. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I used it when my chickens had either mites or lice (I am not sure which as I couldn't see them but could feel them on my arms after I picked them up). I also am using it for scaly leg mites on some rescue chickens. While I was reading on here what to do for the scaly leg mites I read that ivomec would also kill some internal parasites. You should do a search on here really to decide for yourself. There are those who say use it and those who say don't. I imagine in reality there are many medicines that will kill worms. I also still ate the eggs...
    sharon

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  7. Granny Hoffman

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Thank you for the information. I was wondering about the search function, I couldn't get anywhere with it.

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Someone posted on here good info about worming twice which is what I think you may be referring to. First with a more gentle wormer and then following up with ivomec or ivermectin. I haven't wormed yet I was dealing with mites and creepy crawlies! I bought some of the more gentle wormers to have on hand for when I need them.
    sharon
    ETA: yes that is the thread. I need to save that info too

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by