Ivomec pour on for scaly leg mites?

Not sure if the recent posters checked your original post and photos, but your hen's at risk of permanent deformity/lameness/failure to thrive. She's already having difficulty walking. She needs a vet or your best attempt at being a vet.
Treatment for SLM has been extensively covered on numerous sites including this one, with step by step instructions.
You should follow the instructions for topical ivermectin and it can't hurt to use some oil/Vaseline/A&D ointment on those feet.

Unless you are trying to get a pirate chicken with a peg-leg...

I’m only home to put Vaseline on her two days out of the week (I’m at college the other 5).

I’ve been reading up on cures but I can’t find anything that is fast that I can do in one weekend.

If the ivomec is not an option, is there another way I can help her get better fast?
Perhaps the OP can post some updated photos of their hen's legs and feet.

The thread was started Oct. 22 so we are now almost a month in on treatment, so hopefully there's been some improvement by now.

As per the OP's concerns/title and request, they wanted a product they could use to treat Quickly and could do in One Weekend with possibly vaseline in between.
Ivermectin would certainly fit the criteria the OP was looking for as far as quickly killing the mites with follow up in 10-14 days.

The OP was already using some Vaseline which would help with healing and soothing the legs and feet.

Ivermectin can treat/kill the SLM, but it will take time to for the legs to heal, so you would still need to tend to the legs with Vaseline or NuStock at least once a week.
I'd treat for SLM with the Pour On, but then apply vaseline or Nustock to the legs and feet.
Keep her on clean dry bedding with her own food/water so she can access them.
No Rooster chasing her about.

Here’s how they looked today. What do y’all think? 🫣

Attachments

• FFF83F24-4968-452E-9339-B38875BE25F0.jpeg
    FFF83F24-4968-452E-9339-B38875BE25F0.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 9
Here’s how they looked today. What do y’all think? 🫣
They look better compared to your initial photos.
Did you repeat the Ivermectin 10-14 days after initial treatment?

I'd still apply the vaseline weekly to help the scales stay pliable and heal, those old crusty ones will gradually fall away to reveal healthier looking legs.

If she's molting, I'd give her a bit of extra protein like egg, fish or meat a few times a week. Poultry vitamins wouldn't hurt either.

They look better compared to your initial photos.
Did you repeat the Ivermectin 10-14 days after initial treatment?

I'd still apply the vaseline weekly to help the scales stay pliable and heal, those old crusty ones will gradually fall away to reveal healthier looking legs.

If she's molting, I'd give her a bit of extra protein like egg, fish or meat a few times a week. Poultry vitamins wouldn't hurt either.
I have not redosed her with the ivermectin yet. Do you think I should do it again?

Ok, we can mix up some sulfur in some Vaseline and apply it today. I might be able to make her an egg later.

There is a problem with Ivermectin that gets overlooked, the mites need to feed (bite) to ingest the drug. Every mite bite is a further irritant. Every mite bite means more mite poop which is in part responsible for for the deformation of the scales. While all this is going on the mites are laying more eggs. Those that hatch will just add to the problem. A single treatment of Ivermectin is unlikely to rid the chicken of SLM so the application of the drug needs to be repeated.
I have yet to read how many applications of Ivermectin it takes to kill all the SLM, including the newly hatched mites.
For a quick remedy Ivermectin is not what you should be using. The primary attraction of Ivermectin it seems is it doesn't require much effort on the part of the keeper.

Yes, Ivermectin will kill the mites that bite the chicken but the mites that don't feed, don't get killed.

The reason people have used Vaseline is it is not soluble in water and it has a very high viscosity. This means it sticks to the legs even if the legs get wet. It works by suffocating the mites (prevents the mites from breathing)

Most chickens are more docile on the roost at night. Equip yourself with a soft brush, an open bowl of vaseline and a headtorch. Make the chicken stand on the roost bare and smother the chickens legs in the Vaseline using the brush making sure you get maximum coverage on the legs right up to the hock and between the toes. Do this every few days for a couple of weeks and as long as you make a thorough job of it, the mites will die, most will die without any further bites.

Some oils will work but most are low viscosity compared to Vaseline and gravity pulls the oil down the leg leaving gaps through which some mites will be able breath and therefor not die.

I have not redosed her with the ivermectin yet. Do you think I should do it again?
Yes, you want to follow up with the second dose.
Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine making contact with the skin. Repeat application in 10-14days.

Back
Top Bottom