J&M Poultry Processing in Indiana, Loved it!

Quote:
start one!

have you looked into how much it costs/all that it entails to have a state certified/therefore USDA certified processor?? not the easiest.... not to mention.. i "swear" (based on personal experience) that in some states, the fewer the certified processors the better (less work the USDA has to do by having someone "oversee" the whole ordeal, making it legal). at least that's the way they want it to be...

ETA god i'm jealous of all the folks who have amish nearby...

Last edited:
What is the contact info for the woman in Nappanee? I am just west of Indy and have used J&M for the past few years. I think they do a good job for chickens during the year (I don't know if they process in the summer). We raise turkeys at Thanksgiving to sell and this past year they really screwed up my dates so that I really had to rush to get people their orders. I think they get overwhelmed at that time of year. There is also a processing plant just across the Illinois line that we may try this year.

As for whether you get your birds back or not, yes you do. They pen each person's orders seperately and process them in the order that they come in. Since they do them in batches, they can keep yours together. I also agree that the Miller's kids are as nice as they can be.

I am hoping to take my first 2 birds there (J&M) for processing on Friday (I called today- they process Wednesday and Friday I guess!) and I have never done something like that before. What do you suggest bringing them in? Do I have to be there by 7:30 as Ive read in other posts? Anything else I should know?

Thanks So much!!

You can take them in anything you want. You will need to unload the birds when you arrive. I suggest taking them in something somewhat small so you can catch them easily. I use a large dog crate to transport mine and it works great. I hope this helps.

Hello all, I wanted to "review" my first experience with J&M Poultry Farm and their butchering process. I was more, MORE than pleased
thumbsup.gif
I dropped them off around 7:30am, the nice young woman helped me move them off the truck. The price is 1.95 for an average of <5lbs, $2.25 for an average >5lbs and 25 cents for each bagged...plus some other "extras." I picked them up after 2pm and they were all bagged and GORGEOUS looking
droolin.gif
She also helped me load them onto the truck (my dh's truck's bed wouldn't lay down).

Anyways, I just wanted to share the info with anyone who lives in Indiana and is wanting a poultry processor
big_smile.png

J & M Poultry Farm
14053 W. Fagan Road
Cambridge City, IN 47327 765-489-6290
How many did you have processed? I'm taking 10 there on friday.

Back
Top Bottom