jack is a jackie!!!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by what was i thinking, Sep 16, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    hi, we have a pigeon someone gave to us when it couldn't fly. wanted to know if it could stay in our barn til it had all its feathers and could fly. so we thought it would fly away when it was ready... i don't think it will ever be ready. we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl. we would find it on the wires sitting with the morning doves, but didn't know what they were either. for the last week, i kept finging "jack" in the chickens nesting spots in the barn. anyway long story short, this it what i found tonight!
    [​IMG]
    i have so many questions!!!!
    i read in one thread that they share nesting duties. well she has no one to share with. she is one lone soul.
    she has been sitting on it. will she lay more? how many? how long? o boy, i just don't know about this.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh boy!! i mean oh girl! [​IMG]

3. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    well, the egg was gone this morning.... ??
    now will she try all over again?

4. truecolorsloft

truecolorsloft Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    campton NH
    they usually lay two eggs, and if the egg is gone, she may try again. Some of the other pigeons may have been agressive towards the egg. Typically the girls sit at night, and the boys in the day.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm going to take a guess and assume the chickens ate the egg.

I'd put her where the chickens can't get at it, but if she hasn't had a mate, it's not fertile.

6. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    Quote:my thoughts exactly... but could she have been with some morning doves... inner racial?

i tried to move her and the egg but she kept going back to the brooder and i didn't want to put her in a cage.
    o well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by