jack is a jackie!!!

what was i thinking

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
cny ny
hi, we have a pigeon someone gave to us when it couldn't fly. wanted to know if it could stay in our barn til it had all its feathers and could fly. so we thought it would fly away when it was ready... i don't think it will ever be ready. we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl. we would find it on the wires sitting with the morning doves, but didn't know what they were either. for the last week, i kept finging "jack" in the chickens nesting spots in the barn. anyway long story short, this it what i found tonight!
16501_jack.jpg

i have so many questions!!!!
i read in one thread that they share nesting duties. well she has no one to share with. she is one lone soul.
she has been sitting on it. will she lay more? how many? how long? o boy, i just don't know about this.

they usually lay two eggs, and if the egg is gone, she may try again. Some of the other pigeons may have been agressive towards the egg. Typically the girls sit at night, and the boys in the day.

I'm going to take a guess and assume the chickens ate the egg.

I'd put her where the chickens can't get at it, but if she hasn't had a mate, it's not fertile.

Quote:
my thoughts exactly... but could she have been with some morning doves... inner racial?

i tried to move her and the egg but she kept going back to the brooder and i didn't want to put her in a cage.
o well

Back
Top Bottom